Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm joining the circus

I'm joining the circus

I'm going on tour with ringling for 3 years in a couple of weeks, and I want to shoot LF. Dunno how feasible this is, and I was wondering if any of you guys have ever done something similar?

Packing my camera gear isn't really an issue, but processing is. How difficult would you say processing while on the road is?
    aaronamodt.com

Re: I'm joining the circus

Very cool and a great opportunity! Film developing is fairly simple; I'd say you could easily come up with a system. I'd invest in a Jobo Expert drum--it makes processing easy and fast. Add a manual roller (if space is at a premium) or an automatic roller (if you have the space). A changing tent would be nice, but not essential--and a realtively dust-free place to hang the drying negs (aka the bathroom). Printing is another story--it would take some real work and space to shlep around a 4x5 enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Very cool and a great opportunity! Film developing is fairly simple; I'd say you could easily come up with a system. I'd invest in a Jobo Expert drum--it makes processing easy and fast. Add a manual roller (if space is at a premium) or an automatic roller (if you have the space). A changing tent would be nice, but not essential--and a realtively dust-free place to hang the drying negs (aka the bathroom). Printing is another story--it would take some real work and space to shlep around a 4x5 enlarger.
    as much as I would love to print. my darkroom pretty much ends at processing. scanning is going to be the only feasible way to go, while on the road.

I've got a 3-reel paterson with the MOD 4x5 holder. and I've built myself a roller for it. I guess i'm more concerned with keeping chemicals. is there a process I can use that is not very toxic? I'll be using an RV water and septic tank, so I don't really want to mess them up too bad. maybe a really diluted HC-110?
    aaronamodt.com

Octogenarian

Not to discourage you, but a large format camera sounds like the wrong tool to use for the job.

The circus is a colorful place. B&W film probably won't do it justice. Shooting LF color film could prove to be expensive, difficult to process yourself, or to find a local lab to do it for you.

It's also a dusty place to work with a LF camera.

Circus people are constantly on the move. Lots of activity. A camera on a tripod is impractical to use for moving subjects.

Take a digital SLR and enjoy the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Not to discourage you, but a large format camera sounds like the wrong tool to use for the job....Take a digital SLR and enjoy the experience.
    That's all true, so I'm bringing my 35mm for the circus stuff, I've got a bulk roller full of color film. I want the LF for the traveling. We're gonna be in 1-2 cities a week all over the country, so I don't want to miss those opportunities.
    aaronamodt.com

I think XTOL would be perfect--it uses ascorbic acid as a developing agent, and is very low toxicity. Also, a really great developer.

Quote Originally Posted by baronvonaaron View Post
    ...is there a process I can use that is not very toxic? I'll be using an RV water and septic tank, so I don't really want to mess them up too bad. maybe a really diluted HC-110?

Processin film in a CombiPlan tank is very easy in tight spaces. Just put the tank in a changing bag. Load the film with the included loading guide (6 sheets). Close the tank, take it out of the bag and add chemistry. All other steps are in room light. After processing attach a hose to the outlet on the bottom and it becomes a force film washer.

If you are sure the room is light tight you don't need the changing bag to load the film. But traveling from place to place a changing bag will ensure best results.

Size? The CombiPlan tank is 6" wide at the bottom, including the Light Tight Hose Connector, 2.5" deep at the base and 9" high with the Light Tight Hose Connector. Agitation is by inversion so everything can be done in a space no larger then a night stand. Just need to stretch a string or cord and some film clips for drying the film. Do that over the bath tub.

Easy as pie. Just read and follow the directions.

V. Interesting!
    I'm doing the same long term project with the oldest small family run circus in Ireland.
    I'm shooting most of it with a 2 6x9 Fujis [GW & GSW] and a Graflex XLSW to get a retro LF "look" but with portability.
    I'm shooting 160, 400 and 800 220 colour neg which goes staright to lab for process and bulk scan to CD which i then raw edit and post to private webpage which circus folk can see [usually within a week]
    I join the circus for 3 days or so at a time [they move on every two days] in season and often these visits are some months apart so I have also use 4x5 with both a Razzle and a S/Graphic + Aero Ektar combo with Fuji instant + 160 colour neg for formal portaits when I arrive to get folks involved again, they all love having instant pix and I get great "retro" portraits.
    Started off this idea using a Polaroid 195 + 665 pos/neg but was burning through too much rare film [I only have 20 packs left] so went to the fuji instant /colour neg idea.
    Even though I have a camper and travel with the crew, so completely self contained,with my son assisting ,I still think processing "on the road " too would be just too much.
    What do you envisage as the and result of your project?
    We should certainly exchange ideas.......
    Clive
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Quote Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
    V. Interesting!
    I'm doing the same long term project with the oldest small family run circus in Ireland.
    We should certainly exchange ideas.......
    Clive
    I'm joining this tour as a lighting operator, so I basically want to make an illustrated/photographic diary of my tour. I don't have anything envisioned yet, but i want to be prepared for anything that can happen.

from what I hear, my tour is visiting a lot of small towns and villages in america, so I expect to meet some interesting people along the way.
    aaronamodt.com

I worked for a carnival for two summers when I was 14,15. Quite the education. Can you imagine letting your kid go on the road for the summer these days. Shooting color at the circus is like fishing at a trout farm, almost cheatin. These could be yours.
    http://photobucket.com/images/Vintag...20and%20White/
    I agree with Bob that the combie tanks might be the best way to go. As the consistancy of the JOBO is a plus, so is the ability to adjust agitation. When traveling with fixed loads everything has a place and no room for anything else, otherwise something else would have found it's place there already. The personal space for all your crap will probably be less than the talent. My motel was under the tilt-a-whirl. Very good idea about the fujiroid instant to break the ice. Work it right and you might get them to buy the film and chemicals so you can capture their ego. Enjoy the lifelong memory experience.