Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear Storage

Re: Gear Storage

It is said that a clean neat desk, office or ______ (fill in the blank), is the sign of a sick mind.

I keep the mono rail view cameras in large view camera cases. Field 4X5 cameras in Zone VI camera bags. 8X10 2D in a large aluminum case I got on fleabay for $2.00, shipping was $15. All other assorted cameras are in atleast 6 or 7 camera bags, some boxes and hard cases. That only leaves film holders, filters, lenses, darkroom equipment, tripods, tripod heads, and film scattered all over the place.
    So, yeah..... I'm organized......... Sorta

I stay ready-to-go. 35's are in their slim shoulder bag with a fully-loaded leaded storage container of film and a couple extra lenses more for feelings of security than actual use. Extra 35mm stuff is in a plastic sweater box (big and shallow) on a shelf in a nearby closet. It's all just loose. I could understand foam if I were travelling, but I expect few serious earthquakes here in NH. Perhaps I'm underestimating.

Baby Wista is in her Zone VI bag, with lenses, meter, 12 loaded holders, tool kit, and black T-shirt for darkcloth.

Amanda, Alice, and Norma sit on a shelf in a closet in my office, surrounded by cooler bags of loaded holders, a big darkcloth, my other meter, and my bags with video cameras and sound gear.

My tripods lean in the corner nearby. Too many, but I use them.

The point is to be able to be out of the house on a moment's notice, and it seems to work.
    Last edited by Bruce Barlow; 1-Feb-2011 at 05:07. Reason: korekshuns
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

jadphoto

After repeated readings of Finely Focused, and gaining 35 pounds from all the M&Ms, I'm not surprised that Barlow has everything organized and ready to go...preloaded film holders, what a concept.

I use double door lockers bought at Office Depot, one is "extra stuff" and the other is my cameras. More or less cameras are in their own cases with all the bits and pieces with them. Photobackpacker lens/camera cases help with that. But the multiple systems (4x5 and digital) are part of the reason I have way too many, meters, loupes, filters, Cokin holders, etc. Oh yeah, and tripods. But I don't preload film holders, film is in the fridge next to the lockers, but I need to rethink that!

I bought a ton of soft coolers at Rite Aide at the end of last summer for $1.79 each. They're great for keeping stuff from knocking about in the van and better organized in the lockers. I use different colors for different systems.

After proof reading this, I sound a lot more organized that I really am, but in theory it works.

JD

I have a steel gun safe that is not the really heavy style. The safe gets lag bolted to the wall and floor and has lots of shelves inside. Not only is the gear nicely organised but it is secure as well.

Here is something similar to what I bought.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...ductId=3377107

I have a Tenba case, but I have more gear than can fit in there. Therefore I lay it flat on the floor in its backpack, so it's ready to go at any time.

I have always wondered if storing lenses in plastic containers presents any risk to lens coatings from the outgassing of the plastic. For the chemists here--what's your advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sims View Post
    I have always wondered if storing lenses in plastic containers presents any risk to lens coatings from the outgassing of the plastic. For the chemists here--what's your advice?
    I don't think storing photo equipment in plastics is a good idea. There should be a good ventilation to prevent trapped moisture damage....storing in leather bags is not good either. I lost a leica lens to molds growing on the glass...

Craig's list look for good quality entertainment centers the kind that used to take the Sony 32-36 inch Trinatron TV. With flat screen TV on one wants these anymore and you can pick up a nice Armoire for little cash. Stack your stuff in the unit and close the doors.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.