Page 246 of 328 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 3278

Thread: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Re: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Peter, these are both interesting, and since you have invited comment, let me make a suggestion regarding Atalaya3. I would crop in on the right side and eliminate the distant background; also, a slight crop top and bottom of equal amounts leaving a slice of sky. The light is not a problem, and works well. In short, a tighter crop would strengthen the image overall. I like it. Also, the window on the right, with the play of light on the bricks, is fascinating as a stand-alone composition; severly cropped, or better yet, taken with a longer lens on your next visit. Thanks for sharing, these caught my eye.

Merg, Thanks so much for your suggestions. I don't know how to say this without sounding "over the top," but I'm honored that you made suggestions. I will try them out in PhotoShip later today (or right after Thanksgiving if my wife gives me a to-do list getting ready for relatives) and post the "Merg Ross Version." Maybe I will end up printing one or both of the images in the darkroom after all.

Love it and clouds!
    Tin Can

Pleasing and intriguing.

What a great building!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    Have you considered cropping the image horizontally just below the door frame? At this level you have marvelous visual tension coming from each side that provides the proper support for what is above it - which is where the marvel of this image resides. Well seen and well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Peter, these are both interesting, and since you have invited comment, let me make a suggestion regarding Atalaya3. I would crop in on the right side and eliminate the distant background; also, a slight crop top and bottom of equal amounts leaving a slice of sky. The light is not a problem, and works well. In short, a tighter crop would strengthen the image overall. I like it. Also, the window on the right, with the play of light on the bricks, is fascinating as a stand-alone composition; severly cropped, or better yet, taken with a longer lens on your next visit. Thanks for sharing, these caught my eye.
    First, the crop as suggested (at least my interpretation):
    atalaya3_mr2 by Peter Lewin, on Flickr

And a second, tighter crop concentrating more on the two windows:
    atalaya3_mr1 by Peter Lewin, on Flickr

And again, thanks, Merg, for your suggestions, and any other comments on either the originals or the crops appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Have you considered cropping the image horizontally just below the door frame? At this level you have marvelous visual tension coming from each side that provides the proper support for what is above it - which is where the marvel of this image resides. Well seen and well executed.
    Thank you to everyone that took the time to leave a comment.

Michael: Yes, I made a lot of exposures of the building with a few different formats, films and cropping, and you are right, the lower section doesn't really belong (or at least doesn't add much) in this black and white version, in color it's a different story. Below is one version from the same negative.

I had considered this a work in progress, I made the 140 mile each way trip a dozen or so times (five times in two weeks at one point!) from about 1988 until 1993, when I turned the corner to where I should have seen the building and it was gone, burnered to the ground. I felt like there was something more to capture there, at least I was willing to try.