Page 129 of 328 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 3278

Thread: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Re: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I know HDR and use it digital. My question was more aimed at how you register the transparencies accurately, specially when you have trees in the background. Seems like it would be really hard considering film shift in the holder and scanning.
    If I may - Photoshop does it automatically. Assuming you don't shift your point of view, which you wouldn't being on a tripod, it's quite simple. Only problem would come with wind.
    Personally, I've done this a couple of times and not blended the exposure, but instead used the brighter exposure to mask in detail in the shadows. Personally, for me almost any tone mapping is "too much," and causes halos and weird bright areas in the sky where it meets the land/foliage.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Peter

Very nice Nate!
    And worth the extra effort. I thought I saw something different at first glance, and when I read that you combined two images, I knew that was it.

Ah yes, that's right, the newer PS does that. I looked at the image up close and you can see some artifacts to the top right of the frame. The whole scene is a nightmare to register. All that brick and branches... PS must have had a hell of a time trying to match all those pixels

The result is great. You can't tell it's been edited and that's good. Beautiful image.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I know HDR and use it digital. My question was more aimed at how you register the transparencies accurately, specially when you have trees in the background. Seems like it would be really hard considering film shift in the holder and scanning.
    I don't register the separate images - the software does that after the images are loaded for processing. Most HDR software has a ghosting reduction command which is pretty effective, although not infallible. Of course it helps greatly to keep the tripod in exactly the same position between shots.
    If I hand hold a speed graphic or DSLR then I reframe the images using PS such that the framing around the periphery is identical. Actually the image pair above were out of perspective and registration since I tripped over the tripod so had to guess where the original position was for the second shot.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Yes Corran, there are a lot of headaches trying to get a natural appearance from HDR kinds of software. Most of the images I'm dissatisfied with, including the one above where, under close inspection, some ghosting can be seen. And yes the transition from deep shadows to highlights often result in a frustrating "halo" effect. For me this is a work in progress and only a possible solution to the narrow DR inherent with chromes. Hey I am only using PS CS so am in the dark ages so to speak.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken window023 copy.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	107914 8x10 deardorff, 19" red dot Artar, f32... i think.

Retired

One of my favorite visits is to Clines Antiques about 30 miles from home. The items change quickly with a never ending items that always surprises.
    You will always find an item you did not know you needed with a visit to Clines. Just pick one from this photo.

Camera – Old Speed Graflex
    Lens – 180mm Heliar
    Film – Ilford HP-4 processed in HC- 110

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jack-H...09348465760954
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Items You Need-Clines- Heliar 180mm copy.jpg  

Nice sousaphone! I would buy that in a heartbeat to fix up (looks like at least 2 valves are frozen up).

I thought I would post this for those keeping up with my ongoing project and eventually my show in November of this year documenting a local cotton mill.

Here is one of my favorite images that I posted in this thread a few months ago, printed to about 18x22 and framed to 22x26. Excuse the crappy cell phone photo:

What Farmers do in their spare time on Kangaroo Island ( it,s a letter Box)
    print 8x10 neg 5x4 Arista 200
    Pacemaker Speed graphic 90mm lens