Page 230 of 328 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 3278

Thread: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Re: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    Not sure where these should go, but I guess "farms and other old things" is pretty close. In San Gregorio, California, a whole row of fence posts, each with its own fish carcass.
    I am guessing this is the property owners way of warning other fish that might try to escape...?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Nah. It's warning other fish that may come and try to eat his crops.

Neil

Nope. That's a natural consequence of a receding high tide...

Another century and every coastal community will be fishing with barb wire fences!

Hah, hah, you guys. I was curious, so I googled "fish on a fence post" and discovered that this is not an unknown practice--the state of Texas seems to be mentioned often. Not sure why they do it there. In California, it's gotta be for art.

Bobbotron -- the sense of sharpness is more than anything is due to the bright sun and all the tiny detail in the carcasses. This was TMY. I have an FP4 negative of the same subject yet to develop. Will be interested to see the difference.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Blair Detective 1893 Old Barn by rrunnertexas, on Flickr

1893 Blair Hawkeye Detective 4x5 box camera.

China Camp State Park (former Chinese-American fishing village), Marin County, California

Sironar 150N, TMY2, D76 1:1 - Y2 filter -- probably could have used orange, but I don't have one for this lens yet.

[IMG]China Camp State Park by William Poole, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]China Camp State Park by William Poole, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Met up with fellow LFPF member Kerosene Hat yesterday morning and made a few photographs near Atlanta, at the ruins of the Sope Creek Paper Mill.

First time I've ever been there, but definitely a place ripe with opportunities. Perhaps next time the light will be a bit better.

Wehman UL 8x10, 210mm f/9 Graphic Kowa and 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M, Delta 100, Pyrocat:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Met up with fellow LFPF member Kerosene Hat yesterday morning and made a few photographs near Atlanta, at the ruins of the Sope Creek Paper Mill.

First time I've ever been there, but definitely a place ripe with opportunities. Perhaps next time the light will be a bit better.

Wehman UL 8x10, 210mm f/9 Graphic Kowa and 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M, Delta 100, Pyrocat:

Great shots. "Better light" might have made the scenes too contrasty; these look very nice. Or, what did you mean by "better" light?

Bryan, I looked at your stone ruin images this morning on an iPhone.

Now on my good monitor. WOW!.. and I agree this light is really good. Great work.

I looked up your area, looks very interesting. Similar to parts of my area, but I am sure everything is lusher, snake-er and wetter by you. We have plenty of snakes.

40 years ago I rode my BMW motorbike from Philly, down Skyline Drive which connects at the top of the Blueridge Parkway and on to the end. I think I took 40 west home to my area. If I remember correctly there was scenic road connection at the end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I figured i would get back someday...

So I almost made it to Georgia.

Thanks John. You're right, I don't want too much contrast (especially not dappled light). The sun almost came out for a minute and would've given some nice side light early in the morning, maybe. I was just feeling like maybe the light here is just a bit too drab - but maybe it fits the subject.

Edit: you sniped me Randy . Thanks, maybe I'm being too critical. I will probably try contact printing the second image. Sometimes things are just different in silver, you know? There's a lot of interest in GA it's just not on the side of the road with huge signs pointing you there. The second image is actually at the back area of this park that is clearly less trafficked - we were happy to find it as we didn't realize it was such a sizable ruin.

I think I know the scenic road you are talking about - and it's a great road with connections to the Appalachian Trail and several scenic hikes and waterfalls. But they require 5-10 mile hikes to see sometimes. The adage "nothing worth photographing is far from your car" or whatever does not work in GA in my opinion!!!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome