Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Confirm Removal of UV Blocker in TMAX 100

multiplex

Re: Can Anyone Confirm Removal of UV Blocker in TMAX 100

hi rayt

a lot of the processes that aren't silver gelatin based ... ( pt/pd, carbon, salt, pop, albumen &C )
    but ... i even have trouble exposing dense tmx with a 300w floodlight
    onto plain old rc paper. tmy exposures were about 2 seconds and
    tmx exposures were about 50 seconds, so it isn't just uv processes
    the anti-uv layer has its fun with.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...rint-time.html

Thanks. I am glad I asked. I plan to attend a workshop on carbon printing next year so this is good to know.

Dear Michael,

The UV absorber dyes are present on current Kodak Professional T-Max 100 Film.

The film it is not present in is the Kodak Professional T-Max 400 Film 120 and sheet sizes, as well as all sizes of Kodak Tri-X Film.

Please let us know if you have future questions on these or other of our Kodak Professional products.

Sincerely,

Peter V.
    Kodak Professional
    Technical Support
    800-242-2424 ext. 19

The person that concluded that the UV coating is missing on current T Max 100 film is obviously incorrect in this assertion.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 25-Jan-2011 at 10:27. Reason: typo

I don't know what to say to this until this weekend when I have a go at it myself. I'm fairly confident the person I got this from isn't making anything up. She's a highly skilled alt printer with a large body of work in Pt/Pl and Cyanotype much of which is made with TMAX 100. I don't know many people who open one box of film and then get confused and throw a different random film in the film holder. Either way, I'll check it out for myself this weekend. Also, did you get a chance to ask them if its true that denatured alcohol will remove the backing? I'd be interested in hearing their response to that.

There is no question that she is a skilled alt process printer. A couple of things may be taking place that could easily justify her statement. First (and most unlikely) is that she could be using a different film. Second is that her printing light source may be emitting much more of a non-UV light source than she is aware of which could be allowing her to much more effectively get past the UV protective coating and make her statement. Technically, given what we know now directly from Kodak this likely what is taking place.

No big deal. If she is finding a way to make expressive alt process prints with T Max 100 sheet film I for one applaud her creative techniques.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The film it is not present in is...as well as all sizes of Kodak Tri-X Film....
    Alt process printers take note: there's no UV-absorbing layer in 320TXP, which is still a regular stock item in 5x7 and 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    [B][I]Dear Michael,

The UV absorber dyes are present on current Kodak Professional T-Max 100 Film.

The film it is not present in is the Kodak Professional T-Max 400 Film 120 and sheet sizes, as well as all sizes of Kodak Tri-X Film.
    Thank you very much for that. I was wondering if 120 TMY was alt printable.

Can anyone tell me if 120 Fuji acros 100 has a UV blocking layer? I am interested in using 120 snapshots to influence the interpretation of a larger print, if I ever get there.

As posted by Michael above:

120 TMY does NOT have a UV blocker.

I understand that, he answered my question fortuitously. Still wondering about acros but will do some googling when I get a chance.

OK Gang. Sit down when you read this because I am still in a quandary over it.

When I ask these types of technical questions inherently I try to ask the same question from at least two internal sources and expect that the responses will line up on top of one another and all will be well.

Here is my problem.

Earlier today I posted the response I got from Kodak Technical Services stating that TMX does in fact have the UV protective coating.

This evening I got my second response from another professional at Kodak and it turned out that he requested that an inside the Kodak Company chemist test the emulsion and he told me that TMX does not have the UV coating.

As a result first thing in the AM I am going to have some people talking together inside Kodak so we can once and for all get this issue resolved.

I apologize for the confusion but all I am doing is promptly reporting to those interested the progress (or lack thereof) on this rather basic question. One would think that this would not be this confusing but we must remember that the staff at Kodak has lost considerable internal expertise and those remaining are doing double duty in many assignments. It is what it is.

Cheers!