Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Confirm Removal of UV Blocker in TMAX 100

Re: Can Anyone Confirm Removal of UV Blocker in TMAX 100

Confirmed. If the box says 100TMAX it should be fine to use with UV exposure processes. If it says TMAX100 then it is the older run which contains the UV blocking layer. Kodak apparently left the UV blocker out after getting bombarded with complaints but there is no record of any official statement being released on the matter (not at all uncommon for Kodak). DISCLAIMER: I have not tested to see if this all holds true so I am basing this information on information I was just given (for the sake of sharing information that seems pertinent). I will personally test the 100TMAX 8x10 that I have next weekend at a Pt/Pl workshop and I'll report back.

Well, I can confirm that I tested soaking Tmax-100 in isopropyl alcohol a few years ago and it had absolutely no effect on the UV stain. I read the base density before and after the soak with a UV densitometer and it did not change by even log 0.01.
    I thought it was isopropyl alcohol as well but it is denatured alcohol which is supposed to work. I confirmed this from someone who used the very technique will in the UK when they couldn't find any 400. They said it was a while back but it worked.

I will find out directly from Kodak as we have some other dialog taking place with them.

We had a heck of a time getting Kodak to keep the UV coating off of TMY2 and it clearly was on TMX. That may have changed. You would have thought that this would be something that they would want to blow their horn over?

I will find out directly from Kodak as we have some other dialog taking place with them.
    THANK YOU!!

We had a heck of a time getting Kodak to keep the UV coating off of TMY2 and it clearly was on TMX. That may have changed. You would have thought that this would be something that they would want to blow their horn over?
    Yea well they're not exactly know for being very aware in making product choices.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post

i had a conversation with them last june ( 2010 ) about this
    and i was told the uv layer was still on the tmx films ...

I have no idea. I saw the prints she made. She said the exposure times didn't vary much at all from other films known to not have a UV blocker. I'm flabbergasted. I don't even even know why im so obsessed with this given that Im not using TMAX 100 anymore haha.

P.S> John, I sent you a message over on APUG regarding a different topic. Check it out and get back to me please

denatured alcohol (mineral spirits for those in the UK)

In the US, "mineral spirits" is a purified petroleum solvent, similar to naptha but less volatile; denatured alcohol is typically grain alcohol that has various additives to make it undrinkable. Alcohol is a fairly polar solvent; it is water soluble and a good solvent for some things (like shellac) but not others. Mineral spirits (the US version, anyway) is nonpolar, not water soluble, and a good solvent for things like oils and greases.

I apologize for what may seem like a nitpick, but perhaps this will help to keep someone out of a bind...

It's not nitpicking at all. Realistically you probably did just save someone some grief if they went out and made the mistake of asking for the wrong thing. Thanks Harold.

Fragomeni,

I'm glad that you saw it that way. As it happens, in the paint departments of the US there is likely to be both denatured alcohol and mineral spirits, but elsewhere the denatured alcohol may well be labeled "methylated spirits" so the situation is ripe for confusion.

Hmmm, I have a couple of boxes that are slightly out of date and the label says 100TMAX on them.

Excuse the dumb question but which alternative process requires UV exposure?