Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Confirm Removal of UV Blocker in TMAX 100

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can Anyone Confirm Removal of UV Blocker in TMAX 100

Straight and to the point: Can anyone confirm that soaking in regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol will remove the UV blocking layer from Kodak TMAX 100? Thank you.

Re: Can Anyone Confirm Removal of UV Blocker in TMAX 100

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Straight and to the point: Can anyone confirm that soaking in regular isopropyl rubbing alcohol will remove the UV blocking layer from Kodak TMAX 100? Thank you.
    No it can't be removed, period. Don't use TMAX 100 for UV printing processes. End of story. Use TMY-2 instead.

Don Bryant

Thats a shame but I guess it really doesn't matter in the long run. I have a few sheets of TMAX 100 8x10 left that I was gonna use but I guess not. Regardless after those sheets there are no more thanks to Kodak. I'll be testing Ilford Delta 100 as a possible replacement, any word on how well it responds to UV for alt processes?

Drew Wiley

Delta 100 has a curve quite different from TMX, with a longer toe, but similar grain. TMY has a similar curve, analogous dev properties, and slightly more grain and edge acutance.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...TMY has a similar curve, analogous dev properties, and slightly more grain and edge acutance.
    Similar to Delta 100 or TMX?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Similar to Delta 100 or TMX?
    Sal,

TMY-2 is very similar in curve shape (very linear) to Tmax-100, just a tad more grain, but you really have to enlarge a lot to see a difference.

My experience with Delta 100 is fairly limited, but it also has a fairly linear curve, and very fine grain. I believe Lenny Eiger prefers it to other films.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Delta 100 passes UV with no problem (as does TMax400)

Ok, I have a monkey wrench for you guys. I just returned home from a show where a friend of mine was showing. I saw platinum prints of hers made with TMAX 100. I asked her and she said that she printed them from relatively recent boxes of TMAX 100 and that the recent boxes printed as if there was no UV blocking layer. She said her exposure times were normal for pt. I specifically had her confirm that she was talking about 100 and not 400. She was talking about 100.
    Either way I'll be bringing several negs to the workshop next week (I thought it was this weekend but its not) and some will be TMAX 100 8x10 from a box I bought just before they discontinued it so thats about a fresh as it gets. If by some miracle it prints I'll report back here.

I just emailed her to have her triple check the box and confirm that its 100 and that she wasn't mixing it up with 400. I can't understand how she found 100 to work. If by some chance she confirms it was 100 I'll report back and let you all know.

Also, I did confirm tonight that denatured alcohol (mineral spirits for those in the UK) has some effect on removing the UV blocking layer. I obviously haven't tested it myself but I received first hand accounts that it has some effect on removing the UV blocking layer. If I thought I'd still be shooting TMAX 100 after next week I'd test it. Either way it might be worth looking into for those still using the film in 4x5 or special orders.

Well, I can confirm that I tested soaking Tmax-100 in isopropyl alcohol a few years ago and it had absolutely no effect on the UV stain. I read the base density before and after the soak with a UV densitometer and it did not change by even log 0.01.

Also, it is possible to make a pt/pd print from a Tmax-100 negative, you just have to add approximately three stops to what would be a normal exposure since the UV base stain is approximately log 1.00. So if your normal exposure is four minutes, with the blocking base it would become 32 minutes.

As far as I know Kodak has not changed the film base for Tmax-100, and if they had I believe this would have been announced.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon