Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cone Centralisateur--Who copied whom:-)

Re: Cone Centralisateur--Who copied whom:-)

I remember that Westlicht (?) had an auction of a big set of Jamin, Jamin/Darlot, Darlot CC objectives and there were quite a lot of differences in style - quite distinct from the size/focal length differences.
    I think Eddie may have something. Engraving details are dependent on the person given that specific job that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I remember that Westlicht (?) had an auction of a big set of Jamin, Jamin/Darlot, Darlot CC objectives and there were quite a lot of differences in style - quite distinct from the size/focal length differences.
    I think Eddie may have something. Engraving details are dependent on the person given that specific job that day.

Let me go home and check both out in detail before I put down my bet with Eddie. I don't want to lose

To Louis: Mine is about 19" and the serial on Darlot is about twice yours, so it is a Darlot instead of J&D. I have drooled over your beautiful J&D, love the lens cap especially

Mine has some edge blur on my 16x20 and that's why I have a different rear elements on sometimes for larger coverage. This one can show you why. There is only 2" of depth of field after I put this on and I love it

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by tuant View Post
    Let me go home and check both out in detail before I put down my bet with Eddie. I don't want to lose

To Louis: Mine is about 19" and the serial on Darlot is about twice yours, so it is a Darlot instead of J&D. I have drooled over your beautiful J&D, love the lens cap especially

Mine has some edge blur on my 16x20 and that's why I have a different rear elements on sometimes for larger coverage. This one can show you why. There is only 2" of depth of field after I put this on and I love it
    Hi Tuant

Love the plate you made . Great still life & best of all it's one of a kind.

Man that's a big front board on the 16x20. Is that 11" board? I remember when you ordered the camera. Now look at you. You go my friend.

I would love to see a full shot of the 16x20 camera. Did you post a sample photo of the camera in an earlier thread? you know, I'll check your post in your profile to see if you posted shoots of the big girl.

Well I checked & could not find any photos of the 16x20 posted here. Maybe you could add some shoots of the camera for your friend in Western PA.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 20-Jan-2011 at 09:57. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Hi Tuant

I would love to see a full shot of the 16x20 camera. Did you post a sample photo of the camera in an earlier thread? you know, I'll check your post in your profile to see if you posted shoots of the big girl.

Well I checked & could not find any photos of the 16x20 posted here. Maybe you could add some shoots of the camera for your friend in Western PA.
    Not a problem, Louis! I have posted some else where but here you go: the lens board is about 10". I will show off this 9LB Collinear lens mounted on the board as well as a landscape that I took with this lens. Please let me know which side you are on when I put down my bet with Eddie

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by tuant View Post
    Not a problem, Louis! I have posted some else where but here you go: the lens board is about 10". I will show off this 9LB Collinear lens mounted on the board as well as a landscape that I took with this lens. Please let me know which side you are on when I put down my bet with Eddie

Thanks for posting shots of the camera, lens & most of all image taken with both.The camera is a thing of beauty but the image is fantastic. It gives me the feel of actually standing by the water side gazing on the old mill.

BTW-Whats the focal length of the 9lb Collinear?

As far as the bet goes, I,m not a betting man but lets just say I am. I would go with brother Eddie on this one. No Facts just a gut feeling.

I hear what Eddie is saying; that someone lost or broke that original Jamin part, and replaced it with a Gasc & Char that "happened to fit." But if you look, the sleeve part on both your lenses are unusually short. I've not seen many conventional petzvals where the sleave stops right above the focus knob. Tuant can see if it has been cut down....continue the research.

Hi Louis, it is the Collinear Series II No. 10. It should be around 640mm. Too bad you are not with me on this one

After some examination, I am ready to dig down and fight this out with Eddie. Here is the bet: every May I bring a barrel of German beer to his house. If more than half of the judges here say Eddie is right, I will bring two this May. Otherwise, I bring none and what's more, Eddie will have to serve me wine with a free dinner
    Anyway, here is what I found out:

My Darlot serial no is around 13000. If you look on the front element writing, it actually says 1860 77.01 degree and signed by Darlot together with quite a few more words which I couldn't figure out. This is probably further proof that Darlot started around 1860 or even before that.

1. The G&CH sleeve has not been modified in any way. It looks perfectly made just for this lens. The pill box won't fit perfectly, nor does the water house.

2. The height of the rear cone is different. In every way G&CH is slightly larger except the sleeve which is about the same height as Darlot.

3. The front element with the hood has differnt height as you can see. I don't believe someone would go to such length as to manufacture both the sleeve as well as the hood.

4. On the Pill Box, there are markings of "VI" on the inner as well as the outer rim edges. I don't know what those are for. There are none on the Darlot. Darlot's pill box is heavier and better built which needs to be screwed on, while G&Ch is lighter and just needs to be pushed in.

5. I was unable to take apart both front and rear of the G&Ch elements. If successful, I can look at the edge of the element to see who signed them. If someone can tell me a secure way to take off the elements, please let me know. They look like they have never been messed with in the past 150 years.

I believe G&Ch made this lens and it should be a licensed copy. I accept Eddie's challenge

More here, one of them shows the Darlot in Paysage mode. i can't stop admiring how smart this design is! When in this mode, it covers 16x20 completely with just the largest water house on.

All right, the bet is off now Tried the cone lens today. Found a little model who was willing to sit for 20 seconds but he almost started to yawn at just 12 seconds so I had to put on the lens cap right there. I know it is a little too dark to many of you here

Hello, I don't know if this could help you.
    I recently bought this Jamin Darlot" CC
    It's engraved an early number 3543
    and the signed lens is also dated 1860
    It's a aprox 20" FL witch cover 11x14"
    The cone is bare brass; I think that a previous owner prefered this more decorative look.
    The flange and the pilbox also fit to a more recent version n°18010 wich is exactly the same but with no cone (it's not missing because there's a rear group lens)
    The radial knob was missing on the early cone version and I could swap it from the other lens in order to have it complete for sale.