Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canham DLC vs Wisner Pocket Expedition

Canham DLC vs Wisner Pocket Expedition

I really doubt that I would be able to have the opportunity of playing with both of these cameras before making up my mind on which to get. I would really appr eciate comments from people who have experienced using both cameras. I've priva tely e-mailed a few of you in this group, but most of them basically said it rea lly depends on my personal preferences. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to fi nd that out until I've tried one. So stupidly, I might just have to let the maj ority win.

As we discussed off group, both are fine cameras. What specifically are you look ing for in a camera? What feature or features would sway you? Do you prefer a wo od or a metal camera or does this make a difference? WE can't make up your mind. I can (and did) discuss why I bought the Canham over the Wisner, but my reasoni ng may have led me down a different path than the one you would prefer to trave l on.

Find a dealer who deals in both in Wisner & Canham, buy one and if you aren't ha [ppy within a reasonable period time (say 10 days) make prior arrangements to tr ade it back for credit on the other.

Ellis, please pardon all the stupid questions. I know I'm beginning to sound the like the guys in the 35mm photo.net asking whether Canon is better than Nikon, or perhaps even worse. So tell me if I am going out of bounds and I'll immediately stop bugging this group anymore, and my apologies.

I just talked to Ron over the phone, and he says that even with a 58 mm, the normal bellows on the Pocket Expedition should have no problems with movements! I found that a bit hard to believe, but he seems to be a very honest guy. Would you believe this? On the long side, I think the two cameras are about equal.

Something I may feel incorrectly inadequate about in not having are geared movements. I have worked on aligning lasers in the laboratory and geared adjustments are just awesome I think. If only the Sinar X was cheaper, lighter, and more compact. Geared movements tend to drive me towards the Wisner. On the other hand, no one seems to have any problems with the movements on the DLC. So perhaps geared movements are not that useful, or maybe that's because they have another camera for applications that require geared movements.

Wood or metal? I don't think I really care about this as long as they are both rigid and well made.

I have had a lot of input regarding the Canham DLC and it is essentially all positive. However, I have almost no input about the Pocket Expedition which seems to be a darn good camera. I wish the link in Tuan's page to the Pocket Expedition becomes reactivated soon.

Here's a little feedback about the Canham.

Nobody wants to badmouth this camera. There is something electric about a *new* metal camera being introduced to the market at an affordable price.

I saw this camera at PhotoExpo East. I found it to be not entirely rigid and not of a quality like Sinar/Linhof/Horseman, etc. What it is, is light and cheap. Under 5 lbs, $2150 w/fresnel. Everything in life is a compromise and this shows in the camera. After locking everything down, using only my pinky finger I can push on the back and move the rear standard. I posted about this on rec.photo.equipment.large-format and some others have observed this also. Most dismiss it saying that in the "real-world" you don't push on the rear standard. Well, I do everytime I put a film holder in.

It's a compromise. I bought one anyway and am awaiting arrival. If I like it, I'll keep it. If not, you'll see it advertised for sale in a couple of weeks.

-Ben

Well yes Ben, you can push on the rear standard and move it, the point is that t he back comes back to the same position, unless you push hard enough to push it off the position you locked it down to, and knowing that you are a careful worke r, I doubt that you are doing that when you insert holders. This isn't that big of deal for me as I primarily use a Fuji QuickLoad holder, a Polaroid 545i holde r, and a Horseman roll film holder At least this is the case with mine.

There are things I don't like about the DLC,two things in particular: the flush position of the bullseye levels mounted in the top of the standards; and the gra flock mechanism isn't as positive as the one on my Arca Swiss F-line and the one on my previous camera, a Sinar C.

Carlos, I just reread your second post. Asking questions is good: don't stop, Yo ur questions are valid concerns and need to be addresed. I have an alternate sol ution for you if you really feel the need for geared movements: The Arca Swiss F -line Metric. Contact Rod Klukas at Photomark, Badger Graphics or the F-Stops He re for info & details. I am not sure if this camera is cheaper than the Sinar X, but it is lighter and smaller than the Sinar.

Ellis, let me ask you a more direct question. Are the reasons you mentioned previously (bullseye level and Graflock mechanism) the only reasons why you would still keep your F-line camera?

I was also interested in the Arca Swiss Metric too until I found that it does not have geared tilts. I would imagine that if any movement would be more useful geared, it would be TILT.

This is tough! It seems like the more I learn, the tougher this decision gets. Now, the F-line Field is beginning to look very interesting too considering how fast it can be setup, but my interest is muted somewhat by price, bellows limitations, and bigger packed size.

Ellis, let me ask you a more direct question. Are the reasons you mentioned p reviously (bullseye level and Graflock mechanism) the only reasons why you would still keep your F-line camera?

No. I use the Arca now primarily for studio & architectural interiors photograph y where the yaw free aspect and the addition of rear rise really becomes a decis ive factor.

I was also interested in the Arca Swiss Metric too until I found that it does not have geared tilts. I would imagine that if any movement would be more usefu l geared, it would be TILT.

In the studio, maybe yes, but i haven't found the lack of geared tilt to be an i mpediment at all. If I was shooting table top product photography on a daily or even weekly basis, than I would use either an Arca-Swiss Monolith or a Sinar P2.

This is tough! It seems like the more I learn, the tougher this decision get s. Now, the F-line Field is beginning to look very interesting too considering h ow fast it can be setup, but my interest is muted somewhat by price, bellows lim itations, and bigger packed size.

So you are back to considering which features are most important to you. Which r ange of lenses are you going to use? What is your primary subject matter? if you are going to use the Nikkor telephotos, especially the longer ones, than the lo nger bellows of the DLC might be a factor. Geared tilt is nice, but it is not at all necessary for landscape work. If you want a very expandable modular system then the Arca is the right choice for you.

I dearly love my Linhof Technikardan 45, but there are days when I long for the rigidity and full gearing of a Sinar X or P2. And a pack animal, of course!

I've heard from an previous owner of both that the Technikardan is considerably sturdier than the Canham DLC. If so, I wouldn't seriously consider the latter.

Sean, and what does the previous owner of both own now?