Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Howtek D4000 vertical streaks

Re: Howtek D4000 vertical streaks

I will do further testing within the next days and keep you updated!

Thanks to "onnect17" as well for his help!

I have time again to play with my Howtek. Any news from those who are dealing with a similar problems?

Thanks for those who tried to give me advice - but so far nothing really helped!?

- the lamp works fine, no calibration, no flicker-issue
    - the newer drum sits fine, the pads are like new, no rattling, nothing.

I cannot imagine that it has something to do with the axial movement - the alignment of the "columns" is fine but their height (along the rotation of the drum) varies - I've tried to paint the problem.

So the problem must be within the rotation - or am I completely wrong? Driving the rotation with a rubber belt is a pretty stupid design, but it might also be the bearings. These are standard-bearings, that can be replaced?

I will try something else: I will add weight to the drum and therefore stabilize the speed of the rotation.

Let's see what happens...

I had some issues with my 4500 a while ago and cured the problems by removing all the boards and using Deoxit D5 on all connections. I also placed the machine on a "cleaner" power supply (by running it through a decent UPS unit).

I've tried it with adding weight (and therefore "smoothing" the rotation) and it didn't work.

I've found a "stupid" way to deal with the problem: multisampling with Silverfast. With 4x multisampling it's nearly gone, with 16x hardly detectable - now I need 4h to scan one 35mm slide and propably one week for a 8x10"-slide ;-) !!!

But Silverfast went completely nuts, I've reinstalled it (even a newer version), deleted the pref-files - nothing works - it "forgets" to add the adjustments from the pre-scan to the final-scan. The pre-scan looks fine, the final scan is completely off! Therefore I cannot scan negative material anymore, it looks like this:

Alternatives like Trident don't work, I've tried Win2000 - it killed my XP and I had to reinstall my whole system and I can't go beyond 16 colors because there are no pre-XP-graphic-drivers available...

Occassionally, I get the "F715"-error while it's calibrating - does that mean something?

I hate this machine!

Any news from the other Howtek-"patients"?