Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Archival" wash aids

"Archival" wash aids

I am no expert but my prints have never turned color nor disappeared. I use FB exclusively. I use a one fix bath for two-three minutes testing for exhaustion after every 5 prints or so, wash for 2 minutes in hypo-clear/perma wash whichever I have on hand and then wash for 15-20 minutes in an old 18x22 tray using about a gallon of water every 5 minutes. I flip through them every few minutes. I then selenium tone them and wash again for ten minutes. Period. Over washing has a negative effect on the look and richness of your prints especially if using FB papers. The chemistry of the wash water has a lot to due with how well you can wash your prints. Most of you don't even test for residual fix in your paper but rely on word of mouth or someone elses method that used fix and paper 20-30 years ago and most of your prints are going top die before you anyway. If you want a definative answer then test your stuff. Test kits are cheap to death. And the kit lasts a long time. I have never had any discoloration of my prints due to under fixing or under washing. The longer you fix the longer it will take to wash out. And how thick do you think that emulsion is anyway? James

"Archival" wash aids

2 Fixer baths at film concentration not paper. 10 minutes in hypo clear no less.

"Archival" wash aids

Maybe this is a good opportunity to ask how do you wash FB papers most effectively when theres no running water and you want to save water as much as possible? Thanks. Jan

"Archival" wash aids

There are recent discussions on this in B&W Photo - Printing & Finishing.