Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question about lenses, vignetting, groundglass illumination

Re: Stupid question about lenses, vignetting, groundglass illumination

Mark, so event at f5.6 this lens won't vignette?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Nope, it won't. You're safe! (Unless you start stacking filters or a narrow lens hood on the front.)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

BTW, your ground glass may have the corners clipped. That's so you can peek through and see that area is still getting light from the lens, which becomes an issue when you start cranking in movements, especially swing and tilt on the front standard.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSchneider View Post
    yes but strobes change the look totally ... i prefer the natural light look of the struth portraits for example, take this image, what aperture do you think this was made at? It is a 240mm lens with portra 400 inside an office. I do not have enough experience see from the dof what f stop it is ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashobbs/5280705782/
    Take a close look at the plane of focus. Only her face and a tiny bit on the wall is in focus. This is OK for a photo of a single person, but not for a group of people unless you manage to get all their faces in the same plane. It also appears to be a fairly well lit working space - note the shadows under the work surface which are cast by bright lights above and behind the photographer.

A normal home would not be lit this brightly. You could easily light a studio like this though. But the main thing is that the DOF in this portrait is very small. If you had multiple people in this shot, at least some of them would be out of focus.

Stefan

yes but strobes change the look totally ... i prefer the natural light look of the struth portraits for example, take this image, what aperture do you think this was made at? It is a 240mm lens with portra 400 inside an office. I do not have enough experience see from the dof what f stop it is ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashobbs/5280705782/
    I do not know which F stop was used, tilt was used, to have the wall upper wall, woman and foreground somewhat sharp. The OOF parts are not very blurred (as wide open 8x10 usually is) so I'm guessing a fair bit stopped down, F11-F16?

Anyway, the exposure time might have been very long for this shot, at least compared to how portraits are generally shot on smaller formats. With a DSLR you might consider 1/30 slow, but there are people shooting LF portraits with 30 second exposures

You apparently do not have a fresnel on your camera. Add one and the brightness will even out. Make sure it is a fresnel for cameras though. The 240 S fully covers 810. So does the 210s. But none were designed for optimal results wide open.

@bob: thank you for the comment. would i replace the groundglass with a new fresnel groundglass or would I put it in front of the groundglass?

any fresnel lens brand comes to mind, that would fit the chamonix?

@engl: now i start to realize why it is so tricky to get good pictures ... 8x10 is so expensive, no room for dslresque trial and error ...

@jack: yes, you're right, i'm not sure this is a good idea to try to photograph a family in an interior room ... but how on earth does one get such a dof without flash in an interior room:

http://blog.richardtugwell.com/index...unsthaus-Zrich

Stefan

@jack: yes, you're right, i'm not sure this is a good idea to try to photograph a family in an interior room ... but how on earth does one get such a dof without flash in an interior room:

Those shots are done with flash. Notice in the first picture, far right and far left, behind the the people, the light level is much lower and color temperature is different.

Also, I'm not familiar with this artist, do you know if he used 8x10 for all his work?

@engl:

Thomas Struth is part of the Düsseldorf School of Photography together with Andreas Gursky, Candida Höfer and Thomas Ruff. He uses a Phil. Compact II in 8x10 and a Technikardan in 4x5.

His prints are valued in the hundreds of thousands ... crazy market!

You would put it behind the GG so it is closest to your eye. With the smooth side towards your eye and the grooves facing the gg. If you put it in front you may create a focus shift since it might displace the gg frosted side which is what the focused image is formed on.
    @bob: thank you for the comment. would i replace the groundglass with a new fresnel groundglass or would I put it in front of the groundglass?

any fresnel lens brand comes to mind, that would fit the chamonix?

@engl: now i start to realize why it is so tricky to get good pictures ... 8x10 is so expensive, no room for dslresque trial and error ...