Thread: Buying Lenses abroad

Buying Lenses abroad

Hi,

I am fortunate enough to be travelling through Tokyo this summer (but only as a place to change planes). To anyone who has been through the airport there, are there any large format lenses (of Japanese origin) to be had in the airport shop s which are significantly cheaper than those sold in the US?

Thanks, Robert

Buying Lenses abroad

Hi, Robert,

I don't think any shops at the Tokyo Airport have LF lens. They don't even have sheet film.

Buying Lenses abroad

I agree with the previous respondant. You will need to go downtown to some of the large photo shops to even find large format equipment.

The yen to dollar conversion will have a more direct impact on your ability to secure a good deal on large format lenses than any other parameter. I purchased an expensive Nikon lens during the recent Asian financial crisis at 143 yen to the dollar and did quite well. In my opinion, at the current rates of 120.3 yen to the dollar, the differential between the large discount houses and a direct purchase in Japan is nominal. Now if you are looking for special focal lengths or lenses that may not generally offered in the US - Fuji, for example, that creates a different set of circumstances. Although, I suspect that even these can be procured with special orders domestically.

Good Luck !

Buying Lenses abroad

Hi Robert,

I was just in Tokyo and, no, you will not find much camera equipment in the duty-free stores at the airport (certainly not large format). You will find some digital and p&s cameras and a lot of cool electronic gadgets. The best deals on large camera equipment can be found in Shinjuku at some of the larger camera shops that sell both new and used equipment.