Dear Large Format Forum,

I am offering several workshops that may be of interest to the members.

May 6 to 8, 2011, Spirit of Structure, Olson House Cushing Maine. Experience this unique opportunity to photograph in the Olson House in Cushing, ME. Taking inspiration from the works of Andrew Wyeth and many other artists who have made this Maine icon famous, we will have exclusive use to photograph the interior for two and a half days.

May 15 to 20, 2011 Spirit of Structure, Rugby, ND,
Imagine the unique opportunity to photograph in isolated abandoned farmhouses and nearly deserted towns in north central North Dakota. Conditions of the structures range from mere windowless shells, to intact buildings still containing personal belongings of the long gone occupants. Despite the perception that photographing buildings falls under the genre of “architectural” photography these structures provide the photographer with rich possibilities for still life, portrait, abstract, as well as landscape interests.

June 5 to 10, 2011 Spirit of Structure: Orkney Islands
Experience the magic of Orkney in the longer daylight hours (3 a.m. - 9 p.m.) of the approaching Summer Solstice! With more than 5000 years of human history, culture and architecture, the historic sites of these beautiful islands are one of the great Scottish experiences. Whether your interests lean towards the vastness of the Ring of Brodgar stones or the intimacy of the Italian Chapel, there is a project of photographic interest for you. Dovecotes, Click Mills, a Viking Bu, the remains of a Bishop’s Palace, WW II gun bunkers, beachheads, working harbors and stones, stones, stones. Orkney has it all – island quietude, archaeological interests and a sense of mystery that comes from a long passage of time.

Sept. 23 to 25 Soft Focus and the New Pictorialism in Floyd VA, with Dr. Russ Young.
Explore the world of the Pictorialist photographers using historic lenses of the 19th and early 20th centuries. In this workshop you will be able use and compare our combined eight cameras and nine historic soft focus lenses. Dr. Young is an authority on the Pictorialist photographic movement. In addition we both bring years of personal experience working with these lenses. Join us for this outstanding opportunity to compare and contrast these lenses, which bridge the historical and modern world.

Images from each location and information about all the workshops can be found on my web site www.tillmancrane.com or you can contact me directly for more information tillman@tillmancrane.com.