Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8X10 or 4X5

Re: 8X10 or 4X5

Explore Ortho Litho film---it's excellent, often better for certain subjects (that don't move) and save the panchro stuff for suitable subjects. Try shooting paper negatives.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

i ran into this issue a while back and i shot paper negatives, arista grade 2 paper is like 38.00 a box for 100 shots, i exposed at iso 6 and dev. in dektol. biggest problem is very short latitude, so i tried not to get too much sky in the image, I was pleased with the results. good luck
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I have found a few threads that talk about paper negs. Is there much difference in the final results between contact printing the paper neg to make a positive print, and scanning the paper neg and inverting it in PS to make a positive ink-jet print?

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Were I you, I'd follow jp's advice and pick up all the $2/sheet film you can get your hands on. Yes, all film has about doubled from where it was 5-6 years ago. That is if the film you want still exists.
    B&W film will last much longer than the expiry date. I'm shooting some absolutely ancient 4x5 Ilford FP4+ (found it in some dusty room-temperature bin in a used camera store), in some kind of ancient box with a different logo from the current one (and no code notch) and it makes great results.
    Walter Ash
    Vancouver / Victoria BC
    http://ashphotography.ca

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

ive done both randy, scanned and contact printed, the difference is minimal is any at all. hardest thing about contact printing is if there is any dodging and burning required, kind of hard to see, though it can be done, give it a try its fun, and if you waste a sheet its only 38 cents rather than 2.00
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    B&W film will last much longer than the expiry date. I'm shooting some absolutely ancient 4x5 Ilford FP4+ (found it in some dusty room-temperature bin in a used camera store), in some kind of ancient box with a different logo from the current one (and no code notch) and it makes great results.
    Walter,

Thanks, but you are preaching to the choir. My freezer contains almost 20 years of Tmax400.

You can find Shanghai film on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-sheets-SHANGH...ht_3717wt_1141

Very well-priced and a pretty decent film; it can easily be used with traditional developers like HC-110 or D-76.

You might try this film: http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/filme/p...latt-8x10.html

I just received a box and have yet to try it (with my new-to-me Toyo 810): waiting for a little bit of sunshine when I'm NOT at work (but tomorrow, whatever the weather, at least ONE picture WILL be taken).

Stefan.

Any ideas for me...other than get a better paying job?
    I recomand this one, we need more people using more film!!!!

Cheers Armin

Old School Wayne

I agree 2 bucks a sheet is super cheap. Ilford is $3 and going up to $5 soon, if it hasnt already. I haven't used Arista since it ceased being Ilford, but at that price its pretty appealing....except it is probably going to go up by 30 percent at the end of January too.

I wouldn't give up 8x10 if I were you, I'd just shoot less of it. That's what I do. There's no way I'm giving it up the sight of an 8x10 negative, not yet. I might only shoot a few per year but I'm sticking with it.