Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4X5 OR 8X10 is the question?

Re: 4X5 OR 8X10 is the question?

What kind of film do you like to shoot and is it available in 8x10. I got into 8x10 late and never shot a single sheet of TMY when it was discontinued.

why are you not able to keep both?

sell six 8x10 holders and the 240 lens. this will loosen up some cash.

keep em both.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

8x10 is not just 4x5 with four times more detail.

The lenses are different, and thus the look is often different.

Equivalent lenses being twice as long, they need to be stopped down 2 more stops to get the same depth of field. This means exposures that are 4 times longer - or images with shallow depth of field.

Depending on your subject and your aesthetic preference - these differences may or may not matter.

There are actually a whole set of issues that probably go into the decision that haven't been touched on. Do you intend to just do contact prints or scans in both formats, or do you intend to enlarge? If you enlarge, do you have the space for an 8x10 enlarger, or only for a 4x5 enlarger? Do you use a community darkroom, because they seem to be going away.

If you end up liking 8x10 images and workflow, but can't hike a heavy metal camera, keep an eye out for future camera options. Attend an event or workshop where different 8x10 cameras are in use. I have done that and decided if I hiked a lot I'd pick the 4x5 camera that day, lose some belly and keep my B&J 8x10, or get a deardorff 8x10 that folds up nice and compact.

Out of Plumb

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    why are you not able to keep both?
    sell six X holders and the 240 lens. this will loosen up some cash.
    keep em both.
    After doing some additional looking last night, I could sell a few of the holders and the 240 lens and break even for what I paid for the whole set. And keep them both. Then as Vaughn said...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    In fact, that would be my recommendation -- just stick with what you have now. Carry the X when and as far as you feel up to it. Save the X for the times you want to hit the trail. After some experience with the X format, you can decide on which format is worth up-grading.
    Pack the X on short hauls and keep the X for longer treks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    What kind of film do you like to shoot and is it available in X. I got into X late and never shot a single sheet of TMY when it was discontinued.
    Rayt, I normally shoot color transparencies, but would like to do more B&W. The 8X10 color would cost around 10-12 bucks after processing.

Quote Originally Posted by rjmeyer314 View Post
    Do you intend to just do contact prints or scans in both formats, or do you intend to enlarge? If you enlarge, do you have the space for an X enlarger, or only for a X enlarger? Do you use a community darkroom, because they seem to be going away.
    I would scan both formats. I do not have the room for an enlarger, But I'm enrolled in Community College for photography, mostly for the dark room access and experience. Darn at my age does that make me a Jeff Winger wannabe?

I have not looked, but will the other lens that I have also work on the X, assuming that I have the correct lens boards?
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

From my personal experience....

Started with 4x5. Shot 4x5 exclusively for almost 10 years. Purchased an 8x10 about 5 years ago. I just love the big camera! I still have the 4x5, but it is only used where a long trek is involved or an occasional architectural pic. Over the past 5 years, over 99% of my LF negatives have been made with an 8x10 (or larger) camera.

Having said that, 8x10 is MUCH more expensive than 4x5.

I'd take Ed's advice from earlier in the thread. My infatuation with 8x10 lasted for about 100 sheets of film. That's enough for you to figure out if the format is for you.

Everything about 8x10 is four times bigger (and heavier) than 4x5, and the image quality may or may not be four times better. I found the number of potential screw-ups multiplied with the format size, and my "keeper" rate was much lower than with smaller formats.

I sold my camera, then ended up buying a whole-plate size camera about 10 years later, and still use 4x5 and 5x7. I'm in a little different place with my work now, and I don't regret selling my big camera. If you decide you don't like it, there's a buyer out there. Obviously, there's a lot of folks that dig the big cameras. You got a deal, feed it 100 sheets and decide for yourself. There's nothing like a print, or a scan, made from a good big negative.

Peter Gomena

I'm another Wehman guy and think this is a great option for going to the larger format should you dump everything and start fresh with 8x10. Camera is lightweight and durable. However with bellows fully extended there is a lot of sail area and a stout tripod and mount are necessary. None of that lends itself to lugging around except for short hikes, even with a lightweight camera. My 4x5 is a Toyo AX and I find advantages to each, but the 4x5 is probably a better all around camera. That said there is something about working with 8x10 that seems a lot more fun to me albeit more expensive for sure every time you release the shutter.

Shoot a bit with the 8x10 before making any decisions. I would especially try and use it where you've had good success with the 4x5 and see what differences you can discover while under the hood.

That's interesting, I thought 4x5 or 8x10 was the answer.

What was the question? "Contact print or enlarger," perhaps?