Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: These I Like - A Weekly Gallery of Exceptional Photographs

Re: These I Like - A Weekly Gallery of Exceptional Photographs

Austin,

We are headed toward a discussion about whether "exceptional" or "good" is an objective or subjective judgement. I've had that discussion often enough to have learned that it is not fruitful. Enjoy Mr. Picker's photograph.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Enjoy Mr. Picker's photograph.
    I can't now-you ruined it for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    We can view a Fine Art photograph from a social or political perspective if we like. It's natural for some people to do so.

We can view a Fine Art photograph from the perspective of meteorology or biology too. Any perspective we like.

Here, the intent was primarily... aesthetic.
    Hold it.

I was responding to what you wrote, under the heading "Why I Like It":

"It illustrates the rugged simplicity and solitude of the Gaspé Peninsula".

What I said is that if you are right about your interpretation of the photograph, it is a romantic distortion of the truth. Characterising the Gaspé that way, in 1977 let alone now, is on a factual level just plain ignorant.

On an aesthetic level, my view, with respect to what is supposed to be a gallery of "exceptional photographs", is that this photograph is cliché. It's the kind of thing that one might see, and indeed does see, in Northern New England and Atlantic Canada in third rate paintings and tourist postcards, not to mention countless photographs. In St. Pierre and Miquelon, there is a small island just off St. Pierre that looks like a normal community, but which is in fact a combination park/museum run by the French Government, which is just perfect for taking photographs like this. Indeed, it attracts painters and photographers whose whole point in being there is to make images that are pretty much the same as Picker's.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Reality and photographs have nothing to do with each other. Never did.

Big Negs Rock!

I know "Art is Art" but part of what the artist does is capture an image. The other half is to "enlighten" or "emotionally move" the viewer. To take an image, like Picker did, is wonderful. To present it out of the political context leaves it open for a political interpretation along with an artistic interpretation. This image says to me, stability, all things are working, the system is correct. But the actuality is quite the opposite for the locals. I feel that in the abstract, many of us respond that this is a great image. But for the locals, and the ones who lived through the rough times,. this may be quite the opposite of what was going on for so many of them. An image needs to be judged on it's own. But somehow, most historical images are judged on the context of history when the image was shot.

Let's not forget that not only is ART is a moving target, but photography is attached to the time it is exposed.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

That post quick reply button is dangerous! Try removing that Mr Moderator.

r.e - Thank you for taking the time to share your insights about the photo and the region in general. It may be that many of us have only a limited familiarity with the Gaspesie. Your comments prompt us to investigate the area from a perspective broader than mere sight-seeing. It's also helpful to know that such scenes are commonplace in the region.

In light of your remarks, I have changed the text from "It illustrates the rugged simplicity and solitude of..." to "It illustrates the rugged beauty of...".

Your observations about any of the other photos in the series, are most welcome.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 4-Oct-2011 at 05:43.

It is obvious by Ken's choices that he's not interested in showing pictures that are as you describe it "socially aware". Most of the images are classic B&W as you must have noted. This image wasn't posted on the Magnum website with the same caption... if it were then perhaps your jab would be justified.

You are on the wrong forum if you're looking for guilt trip photojournalism.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

I'm definitely not trying to stoke any fires here and I've read and enjoyed some of the comments, but I would love to see examples, either your own or other published photographs that in your opinion evoke a more profound sensibility. I like the Picker image as a photograph whether there is a tire fire just out of the frame or even if the social climate is challenging. I can find calm oases right here in Toronto that can evoke feeling or even aesthetic appreciation counter to the complex cacaphony surrounding. As far as the Gaspe goes, I don't how many times I've driven there (especially between Riviere du Loup and Rimouski) and been struck by the (other than photographing) almost indescribable view across the St. Lawrence to the North shore on a day in which the sky and river cooperate. At those times one can be as one with the subject, temporarily at least.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

I believe most photographs taken are because the person who took the picture thught it would make a nice photograph and didn't at all consider the deeper psychological or mystical art speak that would try to define their innermost thoughts or feelings. =P