Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikor sheet film tank

Nikor sheet film tank

Just got one on the auction site & was wondering if any users had some tips. I filled it with water & it holds 1.3 L, right? Any advice on how many sheets to develop at once, etc, will be appreciated. Does it matter which end of the reel goes in first?
    Last edited by David Starr; 6-Jan-2011 at 15:19. Reason: Add more

Re: Nikor sheet film tank

hey the manual say always load it with 12 sheets
    to get good Developmunt

OH ALWAYS load it with old film first to get it the height set right frist! then you will be ready to go in to the dark

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    hey the manual say always load it with 12 sheets
    to get good Developmunt
    I do that with every run in the Jobo (6 sheets), a full load every time to be consistent. I keep a dead box of film to top off any partial runs I may have.

I have a big 120 tank that is the same size as the 4x5 tank and use it to store the loaded reel before development. I fill the 4x5 tank with developer and drop the reel in the soup in the dark and cap it. A lot faster than using the fill hole and more consistent, as well as being more sure of the developer level. Be sure and load the film emulsion in, and practice loading in the dark.

Do or do not. There is no try.

My photocopy of the instruction sheet says 36 US fluid ounces for 4x5. That's a 1.06 liters according to a web-based converter I found. Yes, the tank will hold more, but Nikor claimed ~1.1 liters was enough.

I have used one for years a few tips.
    1) Practice loading the film, there is a little trick to it. Make sure the height is set right.
    2) Make sure the emulsion doesn't touch the spring separators in the reel, with the top of the reel to the left load the film with the notches to the left.
    3) Always use the spring that wraps around the reel, the film, the film will come out during the processing if you don't.
    4) Use a spacer, piece of 1.5 inch PVC pipe works well so the reel doesn't piston in the tank, pistoning causes uneven developing of the film.
    5) practice filling the tank as quickly as possible slow filling can also cause uneven developing.
    6) I prefer to take the film out of the tank to wash, I put the film in 4x5 dip and dunk holders and wash in a Gravity Works Washer. Just too many nooks and crannies in the reel to get a good wash.
    From what I have read there were two tanks they sold with this reel, mine like yours holds 1.3l, there was a shorter one too, that probably held 1.1l. I would think the shorter one would eliminate the pistoning. After getting used to its quirks I have liked processing 12 sheets at a time. I mostly used T-Max 400 and T-Max RS developer, single shot, no problem with 1.3l of developer handling 12 sheets of 4x5.

Tom

It doesn't matter. After about three times of trying to use the thing, it will be back on ebay.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Thanks for all the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    It doesn't matter. After about three times of trying to use the thing, it will be back on ebay.
    Why do you say this? What's wrong with the Nikkor system?