Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona or New Mexico?

Arizona or New Mexico?

Hello folks,

Wish you all a very Happy New Year!

I am planning for a week-long trip to the Southwest United States in late January or early February. I am looking for suggestions in New Mexico and/or Arizona for the "grand landscape", the kind the West is famous for.

As yet, I'm not sure whether I will go to New Mexico or Arizona, and I am hoping your suggestions for easily accessible locations (*) will help me decide. I have never been to either state, so any experience will be new to me.

I will be taking my 8x10 camera (plus three lenses) along with a 4x10 back (and one MF or 35mm camera).

(*) Easily accessible = within a mile of the car/road, not much of a hiker with 8x10 gear.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards,
    Sanjay

Joshua Tree, California

Re: Arizona or New Mexico?

I think northern Arizona has more photogenic spots. Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, the Wave, etc. Plus you are close to southern Utah which probably beats both Arizona and New Mexico.

But you are indeed looking for the cold eh?

Richard M. Coda

There's a Brett Weston/Sonya Noskowiak show at the Phoenix Art Museum (til April). with some events associated with it the first week of February. Search for posts on this for details.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Consulting the pineal gland

A lot of people think of NM and AZ and think "desert" then they think "hot". Northern AZ and NM, and Southern Utah will be cold and a 4x4 will possibly be needed, even on the highway, depending upon the weather. Last night outside of Taos we hit -20, which is unusual but it happens a few times a winter. That said, if you can deal with the cold and snow, it can look really amazing.

I am hoping to go to southern AZ again to escape winter and maybe hit that show in Phoenix. Oh, and a note on southern AZ, 6 weeks ago I was there and I have never seen so many cops or people pulled over in my life, if you can't watch your speed factor in the price of tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    <...> But you are indeed looking for the cold eh?
    Nooo! I am hoping to escape from the cold! I need to go somewhere warmer than NYC is in Jan/Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
    A lot of people think of NM and AZ and think "desert" then they think "hot". Northern AZ and NM, and Southern Utah will be cold and a 4x4 will possibly be needed, even on the highway, depending upon the weather. Last night outside of Taos we hit -20, which is unusual but it happens a few times a winter. That said, if you can deal with the cold and snow, it can look really amazing.

I am hoping to go to southern AZ again to escape winter and maybe hit that show in Phoenix. Oh, and a note on southern AZ, 6 weeks ago I was there and I have never seen so many cops or people pulled over in my life, if you can't watch your speed factor in the price of tickets.
    Indeed, that was my (incorrect) impression. I am hoping to visit warmer climes, at least places I can shoot outside without freezing my hands off.

BTW, I watch my speed quite carefully, learnt it the hard way on the New Jersey highways.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Sen View Post
    Nooo! I am hoping to escape from the cold! I need to go somewhere warmer than NYC is in Jan/Feb.

Indeed, that was my (incorrect) impression. I am hoping to visit warmer climes, at least places I can shoot outside without freezing my hands off.

BTW, I watch my speed quite carefully, learnt it the hard way on the New Jersey highways.

As fas as New Mexico.....maybe far south this time of year....50's or so around White Sands....still below freezing at night....

Up northwest, little cool weather coming through....we've been in the teens and twenties (F) daytime, negatives during the night....

Probably southern, or better yet southwestern Arizona may be a better bet for warmer weather....

Thanks,
    Dan

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    I think northern Arizona has more photogenic spots. Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, the Wave, etc. Plus you are close to southern Utah which probably beats both Arizona and New Mexico.

But you are indeed looking for the cold eh?
    What he said.

Southern Utah and Northern Arizona are red rock country covering the Escalante. That means the lowest levels are seen in Northern Arizona [North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley]. In Utah the rock level go up the Escalante to Canyonlands National Park and Arches National Park [also Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Escalante, Capital Reef National Parks]. A loop around these will take between seven and ten days plus many boxes of sheet film.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

If you don't want cold, stay south of Phoenix.
    If you want the "grand" landscape go north of Phoenix.

It was -30 at the canyon a couple of days ago.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Oh, I forgot to mention that the North Rim of Grand Canyon is closed during the winter.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I have photographed around Tucson at that time of year in great weather, then driven the NM only to have it snow on me -- turned around and photographed more in the good weather of Tucson.

If you want warmer weather, or at least the chance of it, then southern Arizona and over to Death Valley, or Joshua Tree/Anza Borrego might be better!