Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-way ball-heads (Arca-Swiss Z2/B2 and FLM Centerball 58)

David J. Heinrich

3-way ball-heads (Arca-Swiss Z2/B2 and FLM Centerball 58)

I'm looking at some of the higher end ball-heads that support independently locking the axis' of control, like the Arca-Swiss Monoball Z2 or the FLM Centerball 58 FTQR. These seem like really nice heads, and I've read that (at least for the Z2), they're great for large-format and very sturdy, yet silky smooth. They have enormous off-axis weight tolerances (over 100 lbs).

Currently, I just got a Gitzo G1570M, rated for 22 lbs (I'm really surprised that such a large 3-way head can't hold more). It is very nice, high quality...but tilting it left and right is rather stiff. I'm not sure how easy it'd be to get fine adjustments for leveling.

So hence I'm thinking about the above-mentioned "ballheads" (really 3-way heads that happen to use balls, but allow individual control along all of the axis', just like a 3-way head). The only thing I'm concerned about if the baseplate. I bought the Gitzo G1570M to replace my Bogen 3-way head with hexplate (I think it is the 3022); the Bogen is a solid head, but I've found that the camera can rotate along the hexplate, no matter how tight I try to make it...mainly because there is only one screw. Especially with my large format 4x5 monorail, but also even with my Olympus E-3 DSLR when using long lenses, I have this problem of the camera slipping on the plate due to torque.

Hence why I got the G1570M. It has a long mounting plate with multiple screws, so for a monorail, it could be secured in two places, eliminating any possibility of the camera slipping from its orientation on the plate. For the FLM head, there is a least a long(er) plate with multiple screws. What about for the Arca-Swiss Z2?

Re: 3-way ball-heads (Arca-Swiss Z2/B2 and FLM Centerball 58)

Really Right Stuff makes a boatload of Arca compatible plates. Their quality is first rate.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Really Right Stuff makes a boatload of Arca compatible plates. Their quality is first rate.
    I was just in their shop earlier this week, nice people. New leveling head coming out too.
    but watch out since they're compatible but not the exact same size as arca plates. Not a big deal if you have screw lock heads but a pain if you have the arca "flip lock" mechanism (which I strongly do not recommend) since you'll have to adjust if switching between cameras/plates.

What camera are you using? I have the Arca Z2 and a Ries J-250. I prefer the Ries with everything except my Arca 8x10. For most field cameras, the Ries is a better head.

Most of the AS, RRS, Kirk, etc plates either have a lip or multiple screws to prevent rotation. I switched to AS style quick releases because the rubber padded manfroto plates wouldn't hold long telephone lenses steady enough. I can't imagine anything that would convince me to switch from AS style quik releases.

David J. Heinrich

I have a Linhof Supercolor 4x5 monorail, and am going to get the Wehman 8x10.

Thanks for all of the advise so far.

Jeff, the issue you mention about the rubber padded manfroto plates not holding long telephoto lenses steady enough is I think the same issue I've had with my 4x5, and also with a 70-300mm on my Oly E-3.

David J. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I was just in their shop earlier this week, nice people. New leveling head coming out too.
    but watch out since they're compatible but not the exact same size as arca plates. Not a big deal if you have screw lock heads but a pain if you have the arca "flip lock" mechanism (which I strongly do not recommend) since you'll have to adjust if switching between cameras/plates.
    The Arca Swiss Z2 only has a Quick-Release version with the flip lock, though, right?

I had a Gitzo 1570m and experienced the same problem with the left and right leveling. The tightness made leveling the head a chore. Fore and aft leveling was easier probably because of the long handle. I tried a bit of 3 in 1 oil which helped a bit. I eventually replaced it with a geared head.

David J. Heinrich

Some other interesting heads I found. If anyone's used these, I'd be interested in opinions:

No separation of tilting controls:
    Vanguard SBH-300 (1.33 lbs supports 70 lbs) -- $100
    Arca Swiss Z1 (1.6 lbs supports 130 lbs) -- $365 - $548. The double-panning feature here seems useless unless you do panoramic shots.
    Markins Q-Ball Q20 (1.2 lbs supports 110 lbs) -- $390
    BH-55 PCL (2lbs supports 50 lbs) -- $575

Separation of tilting controls:
    Majestic 1001 Gearhead with 6x7" platform (no specs available) -- $306
    Manfrotto 468MGRC3 (1.8 lbs supports 35 lbs) -- $329

Nothing will really do until you get a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ared_Head.html.

Or learn to just lock it down close enough and rotate/crop in Photoshop or the enlarger ;-)