Thread: Can Someone Lend (or sell!) Me an 86 mm Red (or dark yellow) Filter?!?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Can Someone Lend (or sell!) Me an 86 mm Red (or dark yellow) Filter?!?

I can't get one in time for my trip as it seems that no store in the USA has one in stock! I just thought that that colour filter might be useful for when I venture to Death Valley & Joshua Tree in a few weeks...thanks!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Can Someone Lend (or sell!) Me an 86 mm Red (or dark yellow) Filter?!?

We have new Heliopan 95mm Yellow 8 and Orange 22 in stock if that helps. Dealers like Samy's Camera in LA could have what you are looking for. Even Casey's Camera in Las Vegas could have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Got new Heliopan 95mm Yellow 8 and Orange 22 in stock if that helps.
    Thanks Bob but I need an 86 since I have 72~86 and 77~86 step-ups as well for the other 2 lenses I will be taking...
    I already checked Samy's but will check Casey's, thank you...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Perhaps here? Might be worth contacting them.

http://www.filterhouse.com/86mm_hoya.cfm

You could buy a 4"x4" red filter from Lee or some other maker and hold it over the lens. You really don't have to use a holder as long as the filter is big enough that your hand doesn't get in the way of the picture and are careful not to jostle the camera while holding it over the lens.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

While your checking also try Adolph Gasser in San Francisco, Bear Images and Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto, Cameras West in Walnut Creek and Rancho Mirage, Foto Care in NYC, E.P. Levine in Boston, Camera Wholesalers in Stamford, Quality Camera in Atlanta.

And we do have the Heliopan 114 step-up ring from 72 to 95mm also in stock.

We also have a Heliopan 4x4" Yellow 8 glass demo filter in the Heliopan rotating filter holder for 4x4" and 105mm glass, acrylic and gel filters available on our factory store if that would work. But you would also need a step-up ring for that. There is a demo 72 to 105mm ring also available on the store site.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    You could buy a 4"x4" red filter from Lee or some other maker and hold it over the lens. You really don't have to use a holder as long as the filter is big enough that your hand doesn't get in the way of the picture and are careful not to jostle the camera while holding it over the lens.
    You can use Blu Tac to hold them in place. Just ball up a couple of pieces, stick them to the lens rim, then put the filter in place.

I do this with flat filters when traveling so as to reduce the weight/volume of taking a dedicated filter holder.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    You can use Blu Tac to hold them in place. Just ball up a couple of pieces, stick them to the lens rim, then put the filter in place.

I do this with flat filters when traveling so as to reduce the weight/volume of taking a dedicated filter holder.
    For maximum resolution when using a filter it is important that it be absolutely parallel to the image plane and the lens. Your solution would make for less then optimal resolution. This would become increasingly evident the longer the lens you put the filter on. A filter holder doesn't really weigh all that much more then you container of Bl Tac.

That's what I love about this forum. You guys are full of it. Great advice, that is!! Many thanks. And you are all invited to join me for coffee in Death Valley any time Feb. 7 - Feb. 11...

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    For maximum resolution when using a filter it is important that it be absolutely parallel to the image plane and the lens. Your solution would make for less then optimal resolution. This would become increasingly evident the longer the lens you put the filter on. A filter holder doesn't really weigh all that much more then you container of Bl Tac.
    It's as flat as the front of the lens, given it rests upon the rim. It is not pushed on to the metal hard enough to scratch the filter; just rested there whilst the Blu Tac is applied.

I would think that any issue of parallel would be outweighed by reduction of flair/reflection caused by closer proximity to the lens, relative to the location of a filter in a holder.

As for weight, a small ball of Blu Tac is much lighter than a holder/ring system, and a fraction of their volume. And it fits any lens that a filter covers, negating the need for various sized rings.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky