Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Graflex Crown Graphic - downsides for newbie?

Re: Graflex Crown Graphic - downsides for newbie?

My first 4x5 was a Crown graphic in near mint condition. It is the only 4x5 I've ever used in the field and I have hauled it all around--backpacking in the Sierra Neveda, Beartooths, Yellowstone and places in between. The build quality is top-notch USA and mine looks no more used now, 24 years later, than when I bought it from a Shutterbug ad.

I took a lot a 4x5's using two mainstay lenses--an older Schneider Symmar 135mm and a new (in 1987) Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N. I never found any limitations taking landscapes within sane constraints. And this after only discovering earlier this year that the bed can be dropped.

The camera clams up tight with a lens mounted. It fits precisely in some medium size camera bags. The view screen cover adequately works as a dark screen and the graphloc back lets you go straight to medium format and roll film. I've never felt I needed anything better than a Crown graphic--modest price, ease of use and lots of stunningly good results.

An inexperienced Graphic buyer should be aware that the original lenses on these cameras covers little more than the film area, even when no front movements are used. A lens with greater coverage is desirable when using the rising front or tilts.

I recently bought a Crown Graphic in fair condition for very little money. As said above the standard lenses for it barely cover the negative with no movements. The lenses that I already have will cover far more than the camera movements allow. My favorite is an ancient 5x7 Rapid Rectilinear.
    The Crown was the best choice for my budget. The movements may be meager but are sufficient for the type of photographs I plan to make.