Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Thinking Quick Release Plates

Re-Thinking Quick Release Plates

I nearly had a misadventure this afternoon as a result of a loose QR plate and it's made me wonder how folks are attaching their QR plates to their 4x5 cameras. Do you attach with one screw or two?

I've always used Arca/RRS/Kirk plates on my 35mm gear, so I naturally transferred a plate onto my Wisner to use with a B-1 ballhead. I hiked around for a few minutes to find my composition, composed, locked down the camera and when I went to insert the film holder, the whole rig spun on the QR plate! Luckily no damage was done, but I've never had this happen on my other rigs so I'm wondering if using a QR plate is the safest method for this camera, since the plate is carrying a bigger chunk of camera than a DSLR and the attachment point is comparatively small.

I know some members here skip the QR plate and use a head with a simple screw. Is the risk of un-screwing any less with this configuration?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Re-Thinking Quick Release Plates

I've always used QR plates, never had a problem. It's usually very obvious if they start to come a little loose and you can re-tighten them long before there's a chance the camera will fall off. If you want a larger plate you might consider the 4"x4" plates that Kirk sells. They have the added advantage of allowing you to move the camera back and forward a little to improve the balance over the tripod. I've never considered doing without a QR plate. I think I'd be more likely to drop the camera while putting it on a tripod screw than I'm likely to lose a camera because a QR plate came loose.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    . . . I think I'd be more likely to drop the camera while putting it on a tripod screw than I'm likely to lose a camera because a QR plate came loose.
    True, but QR plates can't improve stability, and are an added expense and inconvenience for us with several cameras. I never use them.

For view cameras, I've found an anti-twist mechanism is necessary. Either multiple screws to attach the plate to the camera, or inset rubber pads on the quick release plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    True, but QR plates can't improve stability, and are an added expense and inconvenience for us with several cameras. I never use them.
    Have you ever had the camera un-screw itself from the tripod head fitting?

From a mechanics standpoint, it would seem just as likely to unscrew from the head as it would be from a single-screw QR plate.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I've always used the Bogen/Manfrotto octagonal QR plate (3047 head) and never had a serious concern. Before mounting the camera I always take a quick check that the plate is secure to the monting block of my camera, and when attaching to the head I quickly check that the QR plate is properly secured before letting go of the camera.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been using an Arca Swiss QR plate with two LF cameras for 5 years and have never had the QR plate come loose...so far. But what I have experienced is the lens coming loose on the lens board in the field - several times now - and I always pack a copal wrench in my pack.

Once you start down the Arca style head you are stuck with it. There is more than one time what I discovered that I failed to bring the right hex wrench to switch cameras (my AX and Robos takes a larger diameter screw than the CF) or, worse, that I left the QR plate at home on the other camera!

I use the Bogen hexagonal QR plate on all my cameras including ULF. I custom fit them to the bottom of the camera with two or three screws. There is a catch for ULF; I only use a very old head from Bogen that has a screw mechanism that forces the hex plate into the receiver cavity so there's no relative motion between the camera and head (The hex plate is effectively clamped into the receiver). All my other heads are the newer Bogen heads with the snap catch that prevents the cam from opening by itself. Without that little interlock the hex plate system can be prone to opening on it's own.

But all the LF cameras are attached to the plate by multiple screws. When I used a Hasselblad I used both the 3/8 and 1/4 screw threads to mount the plate. Right now the Fuji 6x9 has resisted all effort to use multiple screws.

john

I use the Horseman system - nice large plates with a very quick lever lock system. The plates have a flat bottom so the camera can be set down easily. They are not easy to find and it has taken me a few years to collect a set of four. If you want something larger than the arca they are worth taking a look at.

I use a RRS 6-inch Multi-Purpose Rail QR plate on my Canham 7x17, and attach it with 2 screws to avoid the problem you mention. Solid as a rock.