Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150mm Sironar S or N

150mm Sironar S or N

Hi all,

This has probably been widely disccused here, but I'm unable to find an answer.
    I'm looking for a QUALITY 150mm. Other than price and image circle, is there any difference between the Rodenstock 150mm Sironar S and N? (ED glass, etc...). Is the S any sharper than the N?.

Thanks!

Octogenarian

Re: 150mm Sironar S or N

It's my understanding that the "S" stands for "SHARP".

The answer to your question is "YES".

The S has more coverage than an N. 75o vs 72o. You should be able to get an S for a reasonable price if you are patient, N's are easily available. They are very nice but not the be all and end all. A cheap tessar will be nicer out of focus, so if that is what you like then dont spend the money on a S.

The S covers a larger circle, has less distortion, better color, higher resolution and easily outperforms the N and other similar lenses.
    If you are looking for a new lens the Apo Sironar N series is no longer manufactured and most places are out of stock.

Just based on mtf charts, the N is extremely close to the S (up until the edges, where it falls off) and superior to even the Apo-Symmar-L. But different manufacturers measure mtf differently, so...

Anyhow, I have a 135mm and 180mm sironar-s and can confirm they are sharp and have awesome color rendering with almost no secondary chromatic aberration. At normal f-stops I can't imagine the difference in sharpness is significant, though. I doubt I'll spend the extra money when I get a long lens, but only because long lenses are more expensive and even the worst large format lenses are fairly good in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Policar View Post
    Just based on mtf charts, the N is extremely close to the S (up until the edges, where it falls off) and superior to even the Apo-Symmar-L. But different manufacturers measure mtf differently, so...

Anyhow, I have a 135mm and 180mm sironar-s and can confirm they are sharp and have awesome color rendering with almost no secondary chromatic aberration. At normal f-stops I can't imagine the difference in sharpness is significant, though. I doubt I'll spend the extra money when I get a long lens, but only because long lenses are more expensive and even the worst large format lenses are fairly good in my experience.
    What chart are you looking at? Did you see the relative light fall-off, Distortion at ratios 0.03 to 0.2x and the logitudinal color aberration at ratio 0.1x graphs for these two lenses?

The S is substantially better.

And you did notice that the MTF chart for the N is from 0.0 to 112.4mm while the curve for the S is from 0.0 to 126.7mm? Where the lines start tpo fall at on the N they are still almost flat on the S.

Yes, the curves for the two lenses do look similar. But the curves for the S are over a wider area.

Bob,

Where do the W lenses fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Bob,

Where do the W lenses fit in?
    They covered 80° and were actually replaced after the S series came out. They ran concurrently with the S and N for a couple of years but other then the extra 5° of coverage the S was preferable.

Ramon, as you stated that you are looking for good 150mm lens - have a look at the Fujinon CM-W 150/5.6 too. I have the 125/5.6 version and it is terrific. CM-W ist the latest (should I say last?) generation of Fujinon lenses.
    Schenider Apo Symmar and Apo Symmar L lenses are supposed to be very good as well.
    Matus

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Ramon, I own an Apo-Sironar-S 150mm. It's my best lens.