Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

Re: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

I asked Ecbuyonline if their bellows are ir proof. He said they don't use that type of fabric. I'm looking to replace my chamonix 45n-2 universal bellows with an ir proof set.

Dave Karp

Some observations that might be interesting.

Over the years, I have purchased three replacement/new bellows from third party bellows makers. The first was a new bellows for an old Improved Seneca Whole Plate camera made by Jim Ormand from Western Bellows. The second was for an old A/B/C ARCA Swiss 5x7 back to reduce to a modern A-S 171 front format frame. This one was made by Rudy of ECBuyonline on eBay. The most recent was a whole plate bellows for a custom Whole Plate back that mounts on my Discovery rear function carrier and also reduces to the 171 front. This one was made by Custom Bellows in England. Also, I have owned view cameras (with their bellows) made by Cambo, Walker, ARCA Swiss, and Graflex.

The best of these bellows was the one made by Jim Ormand, who is now retired. The fabric is light, light tight, flexible, and rigid enough to hold itself up when the camera is fully extended. The folds are precise and it is beautiful in every way. The workmanship was perfect. Based on my observations of the bellows from Rudy, Custom Bellows, and my current cameras, I would have to say that they are all well-made and approximately equal. The Custom Bellows material is not as lightweight or as flexible as the material Ormand used. It may even be heavier than the material Rudy used. I am not sure why they did not use their super lightweight material found on Canham cameras. Nevertheless, it is a good bellows. The folds on Rudy's bellows are at least as nice and precise as those on the Custom Bellows product. His product also compresses perfectly.

This is just as an update, being able to compare what I received from Rudy and Custom Bellows side by side. Based on my experience I would not hesitate to use Rudy again.

I was not sure where to post this. We have several threads on this topic. So, in case anyone wants to jump back and forth, here you go: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hinese+bellows
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-8x10-Kodak-2D

I just received new bellows from Rudy (ECBuyonline) for an ebony SV45Ti and they are stunning. The seams for these particular bellows are barely visible and properly placed on the underside of the bellows.

Of particular note, Rudy also makes the bellows frames for ebony cameras (at least the 4x5 models) and they are of strikingly similar material and build compared with the original frames.

In terms of customer service, Rudy and his associate, Jukie, were very responsive to e-mails and typically responded within 12 hours (e.g., our last exchange I got a response in 10 minutes).
    Last edited by Patrick Gauthier; 23-Nov-2017 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I asked Ecbuyonline if their bellows are ir proof. He said they don't use that type of fabric. I'm looking to replace my chamonix 45n-2 universal bellows with an ir proof set.
    The bellows on my TOKOs are dyed pig skin, and I've never had a problem with IR film. This begs the question -- What types of bellows "fabric(s)" would not be IR proof?

I ordered some custom bellows from Rudy. They were made exactly to spec, and they look really good. They really nailed all the dimensions. There's no twist in the bellows, both openings are perfectly square to one another. No wrinkles, bubbles, or glue voids in the fabric, and all the folds are flawless. The seam at the bottom is on a long bias which is barely visible and it doesn't add any extra resistance when compressed. I've made a lot of bellows and they really put all my efforts to shame. Great resource.

Esthetics aside, are they light proof and will they be durable enough to stay that way as as a function of time?

Friend got burned in Death Valley by modest light leaks at the inside seams of his bellows going down this road rendering his negatives useless. My point? The durability of the materials is as much a part of the process as the workmanship in assembling them. I would rather have light proof durable bellows that are not picture perfect over pretty colored eye candy bellows that break down in no time. The light weight material used by Camera Bellows for Canham cameras I know for a fact will not break down under the stress of usage and stay pliable and light proof for many years. I will gladly pay double to Camera Bellows any day of the week because IMHO 99% of the time you get what you pay for over the long haul. I find it much like buying insurance against the failure at the most inopportune time with my photography. Much like my friend that got burned, I do not want to come back from a trip having invested time and energy toward a desired outcome and be surprised by strange things happening with my negatives. Learned that lesson years ago.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 23-Nov-2017 at 16:10. Reason: typo

Mine don't leak, after installing them I spent 15 minutes in a pitch dark room with a 100 watt bulb inside in the bellows. Down the road, who knows. I always test gear for light leaks before an important outing, or simply as a part of routine maintenance.

Does Camera Bellows offer a guarantee that they will never develop pin holes or other leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Mine don't leak, after installing them I spent 15 minutes in a pitch dark room with a 100 watt bulb inside in the bellows. Down the road, who knows. I always test gear for light leaks before an important outing, or simply as a part of routine maintenance.

Does Camera Bellows offer a guarantee that they will never develop pin holes or other leaks?
    They don't have to because they have a global presence as a corporation and would be toast if their bellows failed anomalously. That said I am confident that if something anomalous happened, they would make it right. My friend was offered an apology by the subject of this post and a replacement when he asked for a refund. He called Camera Bellows who he said he should have called in the first place commenting, "why would I want to take a second chance with what I know failed?"

It takes 15 minutes or longer to acclimate your eyes to darkness properly to ascertain minor light leaks. Who has that much time to spend on activities that one should never need to partake in?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I asked Ecbuyonline if their bellows are ir proof. He said they don't use that type of fabric.
    IR transparency concerns me. I had some early disappointments, but that was in the days of Kodak's High Speed Infrared which was super sensitive. Regardless, proceed carefully and please let us know how it works for you.

Being burnt twice, today I use a camera with a sliding steel sleeve instead of a bellows for IR. I only use IR for certain geological apps where penetrating haze is necessary. I'm not interested in its artistic effects.

For example here is a view the human eye cannot see due the persistent atmospheric haze due in part to the Mississippi's river's humidity rising into the atmosphere. Infrared did the job. (I will rephotograph it with a normal lens. I live in the bluffs at infinity. Normally not visible.) The camera was this - a 3" aerial lens in an all alloy body. I will not use it again for the view posted.

Again, please share your experience.
    Good luck,
    Jac

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    They don't have to because they have a global presence as a corporation and would be toast if their bellows failed anomalously. That said I am confident that if something anomalous happened, they would make it right. My friend was offered an apology by the subject of this post and a replacement when he asked for a refund. He called Camera Bellows who he said he should have called in the first place commenting, "why would I want to take a second chance with what I know failed?"

It takes 15 minutes or longer to acclimate your eyes to darkness properly to ascertain minor light leaks. Who has that much time to spend on activities that one should never need to partake in?

15 minutes in the dark is plenty of time, at least for me. I can easily spare 15 minutes a few times a year doing this kind of preventive maintenance. You don't need very much time to catch a leak if the source light is bright enough, the bellows are fully extended, and the room is truly dark.

As for the rest, had I realized that you have 15 posts in this thread I wouldn't have responded. Your antagonism towards this seller is a little odd, and doesn't seem to be based on anything except deductive fallacies. Brand loyalty is fine, and in the case of Camera Bellows it's probably well-deserved, but it is not evidence of the inferiority of another product.