Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

So, with all of the comments here I will be sure to add a review of my 14x17 bellows when I receive it from Custom Bellows.

Jim

Please do Jim.

I will be the first to admit that when I looked at this seller all I saw was a third party in Hong Kong that is nothing more than a third party facilitating these pure knock off product transactions for a myriad of electronic parts and everything inbetween.

Purchasing a replacement bellows for such a quality camera like a Linhof Technika for $76 seems just to good to be true, but that could be just me.

Scott Davis

Mike- I think they must make it up on volume, because they only do bellows that fit stock patterns it seems. I contacted them about making a bellows for my 12x15, and they told me they could not do anything that big or that custom. They must have templates for common cameras that they use. If that's the case, I can see how they could do them for a low price - no need to measure or calculate - just follow the pattern and do it by rote. Labor costs would be low because you'd only need semi-skilled labor at best.

I would love to hear of the follow up on this post when said bellows are received and used for a reasonable period of time. Specific questions would focus on durability in use and quality of materials for the dollars expended - does the buyer feel that the value received was in line with the dollars expended?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Michael, I got an e-mail from Custom Bellows today and my 14x17 bellows is on the way from England. I'll let everyone know how they look.

Jim

Well, truthfully, I only consider the cheap bellows briefly. I ultimately decided to rely again on Sandeha Lynch for the bellows. And I just got word that the original bellows have made it to him. (!!!)

I'm cheap by nature. Po' boys have po' ways. And I'm not completely ag'in cost cutting on bellows. But Sandeha is really good, offers a wide selection of colors, and stands by his product wonderfully. Very likely that all of my bellows business will go through him; I've bought probably a dozen from him so far, between LF and MF folder bellows, and have 8x10 and WP cameras in-process that will need new bellows, too.

I received word through someone on my blog that the HK bellows he'd received were paper-thin and not very robust. This is counter to what others here and elsewhere have said, which leads me to think there are several HK/Chinese suppliers at work here. Knowing which you're dealing with would be troublesome at best. In the long run (and even the short run), I'd rather deal with Sandeha.

What's the cost for 8x10 bellows with Sandeha? I've seen some of the work he's done for you and it sure looks nice.

Retired Pirate

Best thing is you contact me directly at sandehalynch AT yahoo DOT com. I have general prices but there's a huge variety of draw, tapers and so on that I can only confirm a price if you give me the details of what you need. I do the older wooden cameras, not modern studio cams; for rail-cams you're honestly better off with a machine-made product.

My materials are thin, but not super-thin, and in a few cases replacement bellows to the original length may not be possible. For example in some folding cameras the new bellows may not compress like the originals. However, my first concern is to ensure that the bellows are 100% lightproof, ie, you can hold a flash gun right up to it and nothing will show through. I pretty much only use my LF in the studio and that means lights.

Colours available for large format are Bright Red, Dark Green, Royal Blue, and Black. Do get in touch if you're interested, but be aware that I do this part-time only.

Incidentally, about seven years ago I built a 4x5 and got my bellows from Camera (now Custom) Bellows.

I bought their cheaper vinyl version. I found the price expensive, though being a UK customer this included VAT at 17.5%, even on the postage. The bellows were good, no doubt about it, but the material was certainly fragile and a rip in one corner while fitting them to the frames would have been catastrophic.

If there are frames on your cam it's best you send them and let me fit them to the bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Well, truthfully, I only consider the cheap bellows briefly. I ultimately decided to rely again on Sandeha Lynch for the bellows. And I just got word that the original bellows have made it to him. (!!!)

I'm cheap by nature. Po' boys have po' ways. And I'm not completely ag'in cost cutting on bellows. But Sandeha is really good, offers a wide selection of colors, and stands by his product wonderfully. Very likely that all of my bellows business will go through him; I've bought probably a dozen from him so far, between LF and MF folder bellows, and have 8x10 and WP cameras in-process that will need new bellows, too.

I received word through someone on my blog that the HK bellows he'd received were paper-thin and not very robust. This is counter to what others here and elsewhere have said, which leads me to think there are several HK/Chinese suppliers at work here. Knowing which you're dealing with would be troublesome at best. In the long run (and even the short run), I'd rather deal with Sandeha.
    Thanks for sharing the process of your decision and where you found a solution. There is nothing more satisfying than being able to support a craftsmen among us.

Thanks for your contribution Sandeha. When I need a bellows I will surely check with you.

I wasn't aware you were part of the community Sandeha. Mine is an Eastman View No.2 8x10 and I do keep the old bellows. I'll contact you with details. Thanks!