Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

Re: Bellows from ecbuyonline2008???

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Well, just to sum up: Jack is the only one with actual hands-on experience with this product, and is satisfied. Some people were happy, some unhappy with transactions on eBay. That's not new, though none of the complaints seem to have anything to do with the bellows not being light-tight, which seems to be the sticking point in this thread. Seller offers a money back, no questions asked return policy, minus shipping. For a custom-made bellows. In a couple weeks.

Now, my conundrum is whether to go for the less expensive bellows, with a very quick delivery time, or spend more for a bellows that I expect to be similar in quality, with a much longer turn-around...
    There is one fact that should come into play in this decision process. I have found that people that order large format bellows are people with enormous integrity, honesty and knowledge. If one of these people out of 20 that took the time to provide feedback had a "problem" with this seller I would personally avoid this product so you are not one of the new negative feedbacks they get at a later point in time. Their light integrity is clearly a concern that has been voiced here but that is not the only variable in the bellows game.

As a reference point I know others that sell other photographic products like custom ground glass or other manufactured products that have literally hundreds of satisfied customer transactions and have never even had a hint of any problem as their feedback is glowing with recommendations. This is specifically why they provide historical customer feedback. If you want to ignore the data then it is at your own risk. Personally I would pay more and wait longer for what I know for a fact to be the product that will serve my needs long term. Sending back a product is a totally unpleasant experience that I feel is a complete waste of time. Lastly, your comment about quality being comparable is totally a shot in the dark. You do not have sufficient information to be capable of accurately making that assertion. I have purchased a total of five bellows from Toyo, Turner Bellows, Western Bellows and Camera Bellows and Camera Bellows was head and shoulders better than any of them. That is why KB Canham uses them exclusively for all of the bellows they put on their cameras. They are made to exceptional standards and the craftsmanship is worth every penny.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 10-Jan-2011 at 16:07. Reason: typo

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

As some of you know I'm building a 14x17 camera. I know my limits when it comes to building things. Custom Bellows is building the bellows for my 14x17 for $395.00. It is about 22x22 at the back and tapers to 10x10 at the front and is 36" usable. Many friends and respected camera builders recommended them and that is all I need. They have the absolute best track record and experience, period. This is not a place where I want to try and save a buck.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    There is one fact that should come into play in this decision process. I have found that people that order large format bellows are people with enormous integrity, honesty and knowledge. If one of these people out of 20 that took the time to provide feedback had a "problem" with this seller I would personally avoid this product so you are not one of the new negative feedbacks they get at a later point in time.

Good Luck
    Well, that is a pretty double edge sword this logic, isn't it? If 19 people "with enormous integrity, honesty and knowledge" are fully satisfied then with the certificate of their satisfaction you can go ahead and buy your bellows there you too...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Well, that is a pretty double edge sword this logic, isn't it? If 19 people "with enormous integrity, honesty and knowledge" are fully satisfied then with the certificate of their satisfaction you can go ahead and buy your bellows there you too...
    Not so.

To be a successful company in this business you would likely need to sell a minimum of five bellows a week. That is 20 bellows a month and 240 bellows a year and I could be on the low side of these numbers.

This company should target customer dis-satisfaction lower than 1/2 of 1% to retain customer loyalty for such a customized niche product. You either get your product perfectly dialed in before it leaves the shop precisely to the customers specifications or you find another business that you can in fact reach as close to perfection as humanly possible.

I personally called Camera Bellows a few years back questioning their customer base and general customer satisfaction relative to their business (because no feedback was available) before I ordered my first bellows from them and the kind lady on the phone answering my inquiry told me that in selling over 2,000 bellows, they have never had one displeased customer.

Furthermore in all of the years I have followed this and other photographic forums I have never ever come across or heard of anything said in a negative context of Camera Bellows. I like those numbers and this is the standard that other companies need to meet if they want to make a go in this arena.

It does not surprise me that this new company is using price as their marketing strategy because that is the only thing that have to lure new customers their direction. When price is forced to minimums, it is not uncommon to cut corners elsewhere to carve out a profit. No thanks. I do not like the Money Back strategy. At the ever escalating price of sheet film I do not like surprises.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 10-Jan-2011 at 18:31. Reason: typo

The Chinese firm obviously doesn't care about your selling philosophy and sells their bellows happily in many types.. And its customers give it good feedback. So much for your theories.

Also, your never ever is very incomplete - if you look harder you'll find on this very forum a post where the poster says he was not satisfied with bellows from Custom Bellows. Incredible as it sounds. So much for your theorizing.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Also, your never ever is very incomplete - if you look harder you'll find on this very forum a post where the poster says he was not satisfied with bellows from Custom Bellows. Incredible as it sounds. So much for your theorizing.
    I am not familiar with Custom Bellows. The company that we were discussing was Camera Bellows.

If you are going to refute my statement with a factual conclusion of a Camera Bellows customer that was not pleased with their product, please include said post below so that it is clear to everyone that is interested in this statement. I was not aware of this so this way we can all get our facts on the table and deal with them straight up.

Michael, when Camera Bellows went belly up a few years ago, it was reopened under the moniker "Custom Bellows". Same company, same employees. So you're discussing the same company.

The thread referenced is here. Glad it was referenced, 'cause it has more positive experiences with the HK supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Michael, when Camera Bellows went belly up a few years ago, it was reopened under the moniker "Custom Bellows". Same company, same employees. So you're discussing the same company.

The thread referenced is here. Glad it was referenced, 'cause it has more positive experiences with the HK supplier.
    I stand corrected. I was aware that they opened up under new ownership but was not aware of the name change.

Another person in the Toyo thread posted their problem with a camera bellows product and I was very surprised. Guess it could happen.

I stand corrected. I was aware that they opened up under new ownership but was not aware of the name change.

Another person in the Toyo thread posted their problem with a camera bellows product and I was very surprised. Guess it could happen.

One of the things this forum is very good about is conveying dissatisfaction of products and service from its members. Lord knows any number of post have been made relative to this subject so all can be aware of a potential problem.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 11-Jan-2011 at 09:03. Reason: typo

Let us know how it all works out with the alternative bellows down the road. I would be interested in your comments on this subject.