Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Technikardan 45S my only option?

Is the Technikardan 45S my only option?

Hi lads.

within the coming year I will be buying a new camera. I have owned a Chamonix 45N-1 and currently have a Linhof Color 4x5. I photograph architecture and cityscapes exclusively and my current lenses are 90 Grandagon-N, 150 Sironar-W and 210 Caltar-something. 120 Super Angulon f8 soon to come... 90% of my shots will be done in the 90-150 range. So, I want a camera with unrestrained movements in the 90-120 range. Squaring the standards easily upon setup is also essential for me.

What appeals so much to me about the TK is the following:
    - Linhof build quality and precision, geared focus with lock
    - 'monorail' movements in a compact body with a stay-on lens when collapsed
    - back movements allowing for 5x8" and even 4x10" diptychs
    - separate levers for rise, tilt, shift, swing and zero-detents for everything
    - levels and scales on everything
    - appealing price point second hand

So before I completely loose sight of any alternatives: Are there any other cameras that would suit my needs - and maybe even better than the TK?

The Ebony SW45SIII also seems to be designed almost exclusively to my needs, weights much less... and is quite a bit pricier, I think? (can't find a price on that particular model at either Badger nor Robert White...)

The folding issues with the TK would be a minor problem to me, since I would be using the bag bellows almost all the time. It seems that rigidity would be 'intact' in that lens range, too, right? I am sure that a Linhof MasterTech 2000 and an Arca Misura would also be GREAT cameras for my needs, but they are double or more the price of a used TK45S and have limited (if any) back movements.

Last, but not least, a few notes:
    I don't drive, I walk, so weight is a concern, but compactness more so. I liked many aspects of my now stolen Chamonix, but the screw-in front with no precise marks or detents was not my cup of tea. The looks and feel of it was great and appealing, but the back was neither to my likings. My current Linhof Color is great in many ways, too. I LOVE the quality and feel of it, but the design and the bellows is quite limiting with the 90... and again, odd back movements.

... I hope this works as portrait of my needs and wishes

Re: Is the Technikardan 45S my only option?

Are you using a bag bellows?

B

The Technikardan hasn't been as popular amongst forum members, but I think it gets a bad rap sometimes. I used one for a short while but couldn't afford to keep it at the time -- but I found it simple to close and very precise and solid camera. I'd definitely get the bag bellows for it. I also like the viewing hood from the Technika on the back to help protect the GG and allow easy dark-cloth free framing. If I were buying I'd expect to beat the seller up with a dose of reality because they usually overvalue their cameras, I wouldn't spend more than $1500, giving a couple hundred for the slightly more robust S model with the one-piece solid "L" frames.

Another camera worth considering is the Arca-Swiss Discovery, which is based on the now older 171mm sized frames. It differs from the basic F-line in that it only has geared fine focusing on the rear standard (which is all you ever need anyhow). A lot of the attention paid to Arca owners is for their F-Metric and Orbix features but they make a fine simple camera without the fancy gearing too. Discoverys are inexpensive, like $800. The excellent leather bag bellows is worth getting too. The only downside to Arca-Swiss is their rarity along with the company's arrogance and disdain for their customers but you're buying used. (For Americans their North American service center is precisioncameraworks.com, aka Bob Watkins, who is a peach of technician.)

I sound like a nag but also consider a Sinar monorail like the F2 or Norma. Not only are they plentiful and capable, they are inexpensive compared to the other options. I don't get the prejudice that they are bulky -- I wouldn't want to go ultralight backpacking with them -- but they compress down and can be folded up relatively compact, especially if you experiment, doing things like using the 6" rail extension and leaving the rail clamp and excellent Sinar Pan-Tilt Head on the tripod. For $800 you could probably get the tripod head and the camera with extra rails and a bag bellows, quite a bargain.

The older Sinar backs allow you to pop the metal folding focusing hood from a Crown Graphic into it, nice for protecting the GG and easy viewing.

It's trendy to get an Ebony or Chamonix but I don't get it? In order to save a pound or two you end up with a camera you have to baby. They are also slow to set up, which makes a difference in urban and Winter settings. It's just bizarre that people coming off their giant DSLRs fall in love with some wooden contraption when there are these precision tools going waiting... I get tempted by them sometimes but when I played with a Chamonix last year all I could think was how slow and frail it was to actually shoot with.

Thomas

The TK is certainly not the only option but a good option, I think. Like you, I walk with my LF gear or take it along on the bicycle. I am using both a Chamonix 45N-1 with universal bellows and a Technikardan with both bag and regular bellows, and there are more similarities than differences, I find. Both cameras are very flexible and I use lenses from 65mm to 360mm on both. Setup and folding times are very similar, a little bit of practice is required on both.

Once the camera is set up the TK is very user friendly, easier to adjust and to control than the Chamonix, especially if you use the angled viewfinder (one of the best Linhof accessories).

Of course the TK is notably heavier and somewhat bulkier than the Chamonix. It is really a tradeoff. If I want something very light I take the Chamonix, if I want more control I take the TK. Depends on the situation.

I always fold the TK with lens attached and with the bag bellows. Changing the bellows is very quick, the bag bellows can handle all lenses up to 150mm.

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The Technikardan hasn't been as popular amongst forum members, but I think it gets a bad rap sometimes.
    I think so, too. Gudmundur here on the forum seems very happy with it, though. And he put my attention to the fact, that Gabriele Basilico uses it. I think Rainer Viertlböck used it too, before he designed the Sinar Artec.

But, Frank, how would you compare its rigidity with short lenses to a Technika? I am also curious to hear how the movements 'feel' ? Are they 'yawfree'... whatever that means? Thing is, where I live it is terribly difficult to get my hands on one. Basically I have to go germany or england to get a hands on experience myself.

and yes, bag bellows (as stated, I think)

Yaw free is more of a marketing term than a practical concern for most landscape and architecture photography ;-) It's not really an issue I'd worry about at all.

I don't have the specifications but I am pretty sure you get more extreme movements with the TK -- especially rise with shorter lenses that you would likely use most -- which would be the big advantage over a similarly valued used Technika IV, V, or Master Technika. It is hard to find anything more solid than a Technika but the TK is very robust, especially with the moderate lenses you are using. Any complaints about (any of) these cameras seem to be with the long focal lengths but I think that is the case with any sort of field camera that gets extended out with a heavy lens on the end....

I wouldn't worry too much about what famous photographers use... Remember Edward Weston used a broken down jalopy of a 8x10 for his finest work ;-)

The absolutely most precise 4x5" is the Linhof Technika. But it is clumbersome with wide angels because there is no no down shift and no wide angle bellows. The Technikardan was designed as a kind of Technika on a rail to make it easier to work with a bag bellow and wide angels. It is almost as precise and they made a great improvement on the Technikardan S when they put in the zero dents that make the setup much faster. Technikardans are somewhat complicated to fold with the normal bellows and some people hate those cameras because they have torn the normal bellows by bad folding. I have a rule never to fold the camera with the normal bellows on also because I use the camera with the wide angle bellows most of the time.
    P.S. get yourself a 115 Grandagon f6,8 instead of the 120 S.A. say I that suffer from 27 years of hating Super Angulons.

The Arca Swiss F-Line Metric with Orbix would and the bag bellows would be perfect for you. I have one and it is an excellent camera with monorail precision and field camera weight and convenience. With the listed configuration it has geared shift (front and back), geared rise (front and back), geared tilt (front), geared focus (front and back). The rear tilt is not geared. It is fairly compact.

I can't remember if the bag bellows is long enough for 210. I think it is but that would be max. They have both a leather and synthetic bag bellows. You should verify the max extension of each.

F-lines come up for sale somewhat regularly. I bought mine new, but if I had been patient I could have had a great deal. The Orbix is nice, but not essential for me and add a lot to the price. Standard F-Line Metrics are more common and the bag bellows is easily purchased from Badger or Precision Camera Works. The View Camera Store also deals with Arca.

Thanks, all of you - it seems you were right last summer, Gudmundur: The TK 45S is the right cam for me. Why do you have an issue with Super Angulons? I'm curious, haha.

Jerold, yes, the Arca's seem very nice and geared movements all over would be nice, no doubt. But if I'm correct an Arca F Metric Compact goes for almost 5 grand new at Badger's! And if I am patient, I can get a TK 45S for around 1400-1800 USD... What would you think was possible with an Arca used, if I was patient?

I have seen F-Line Metric with Orbix go for as little as $2500.

The F-Line metrics are usually $2000-2500 used.

The regular F-Lines seem to go for $1500-2000.

This is from memory. The Tk's that I recall seem to go for $1500-2200. I have no experience with TK's, but it seems that people more often need to replace the bellows. That can cost some hundreds of dollars.