with 8x10 I work with Ilford HP5Plus film and develop in XTOL in a Jobo Expert Drum 3005. For testing (composition) I would like to use a cheaper film which also works fine with XTOL. The cost of HP5 is 4,49 Euro at the moment per 8x10 inch sheet.
If I see it right Adox CHS 100 (2,12 Euro) and Fomapan 100 (1,71 Euro) are the cheapest 8x10 inch films. I found no 400 substitute. My questions are:
- Which one comes closer to the HP5?
- Do the Adox and Fomapan have a different base than HP5? I read that the base of the Adox/Fomapan is more sensitive and difficult to keep flat.
- The literature about Adox says, it should be pre soaked, not be developed over 20°C and needs a hardener in the fixer. Is that true? Is the Fomapan easier to handle?
- An Adox 400 is probably at the horizon. But I need some film now.
- Did I overlook some other cheap b/w-film?