Thread: Hello from London

Hello from London

As the title says, hello from London.

My main interests are in capturing movement, and high contrast scenes in black and white here in London, as well as all of the alternative processes.

I've used most of the more popular formats from 10x8 down and have toyed with larger formats using paper negatives in home made pinhole cameras too.

I am a digital convert, and no longer shoot in 120 or 35mm as a result, but do still use 5x4 b&w for pinholes (I hope that counts as large format enough for this forum).

Of great interest to me is the "hybrid darkroom" and using digital negatives with traditional silver papers and Cyanotypes as well as other alternative-processes. I use negatives on both OHP film and paper depending on the effect I am after or the effect the person I am printing for wants.

Although we live today at the forefront of photographic technology I all too often seem to find myself trying to recreate the looks of photographs taken and printed before 1900 using our modern technology (I often wonder if it would be easier to just make a traditional salt print with a paper negative!).

Unfortunately because of time constraints I seem to find I'm doing more printing than photo taking these days... As I am sure many on here have said at some point, hopefully I will have some more time in the future!

Re: Hello from London

You got me wonder about capturing movements with your 5x4 pinholes...

Welcome to group therapy! You'll find lots of folks around here who like to play with alternative processes.

Vicky and GPS many thanks for the welcomes. I an glad to here there are lots of people on here who like to play with alternative processes.

GPS I am currently updating my website, I will put a link on my profile when complete and will make sure some pinhole images are on there. At the moment you are more likely to see an error message than an image if you goto it.

As for capturing moments I like the flowing shapes created when hundreds of people walk past the camera or cars driving along a road in front of the camera for example. When I take a picture with the pinhole camera with using a long exposure I just never really know how it will turn out until it comes out of the development tank so that adds to the fun of it all!

Quote Originally Posted by James Hilton View Post

As for capturing moments I like the flowing shapes created when hundreds of people walk past the camera or cars driving along a road in front of the camera for example. When I take a picture with the pinhole camera with using a long exposure I just never really know how it will turn out until it comes out of the development tank so that adds to the fun of it all!
    I imagined that...