Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Best vehicle for rooftop shooting?

Re: Best vehicle for rooftop shooting?

This model is very popular. The pillar posts are located for convenient attachment of the screws to hold the platform.

In "Camera and Lens", (I think) he writes: "I do not trust platforms supported by gutter clamps alone" . I guess not.

This photo is by Beaumont Newhall.

J2

falth j

Supposedly,

some suburban’s are capable of 20 mpg, and provide at least at much roof acreage as Ansel's woodie, plus you'd probably be able to sleep underneath the roof...

Otherwise, personally, I've been eyeing a step-van, plenty of inside space, and with a little judicious bracing, the roof wood make an ideal platform, as long as you don't get one with the isinglass roof.

Judicious shopping will also bring you a second seat, suitable for the missus to occupy and update the gps along the way.

I received a new gps for Christmas that has a new feature many of you would find enjoyable.

With just a few minutes reading the provided script, my wife’s voice can be substituted for the included voice, and will then, henceforth provide familiar driving guidance, corrections and other driving tips, in case she were to find that she couldn’t accompany me…

A small potbellied stove installed in the cargo bay would give a comfortable lounge area by day and provide suitable sleeping space at night during winter outings.

Big Negs Rock!

Step vans are the bomb. You can also get used Grumman vans from the Post Office auctions.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Eric Woodbury

I have a 2WD Sportsmobile on a Ford E350 that is plenty high, has lots of room, sleeps 4, but only gets about 15 mpg with a tale-wind.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

One vehicle I didn't see mentioned (not that I read all the posts closely) is the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have one and it does meet the original posters req of 20mpg. The top can be easily adapted to accommodate a human w/tripod. You may want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    This model is very popular. The pillar posts are located for convenient attachment of the screws to hold the platform.

In "Camera and Lens", (I think) he writes: "I do not trust platforms supported by gutter clamps alone" . I guess not.

This photo is by Beaumont Newhall.

J2
    I can hear the restorer now. “I found this great woody, but some idiot drilled holes in the window posts.”

I know St. A was a large man, but look at the rear of the car settle with both the weight in the back and top. It is a wonder St. A didn’t roll that car in a curve on his way to moonlight over Hernandez. Something to consider when selecting your dream buggy.

John

Quote Originally Posted by falth j View Post

With just a few minutes reading the provided script, my wife’s voice can be substituted for the included voice, and will then, henceforth provide familiar driving guidance, corrections and other driving tips, in case she were to find that she couldn’t accompany me…
    You mean I can program my GPS to back-seat drive on behalf of my wife when she's not along? And this is a FEATURE??? Somebody WANTS this???
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by johnp271 View Post
    One vehicle I didn't see mentioned (not that I read all the posts closely) is the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have one and it does meet the original posters req of 20mpg. The top can be easily adapted to accommodate a human w/tripod. You may want to check it out.
    John, my 4Runner OM says the roof weight limit is 250lbs. I realize this is probably a conservative estimate, but do you know the mfrs stated limit for the FJ? And, btw, didn't Toyota just discontinue the FJ?

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_lipkin View Post
    I won't even tell you about the time I had someone lower a transmission onto my chest as I lay underneath it, thinking 'It can't be all that heavy'.
    This sounds very familiar. Are you familiar with the weight of a cast iron Ford C-6 transmission dropping on your chest? I was only 17, so not expected to be too smart. Aside from that incident, I do miss my old '67 Galaxie convertible. Selling it was one of my few regrets in life.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    You mean I can program my GPS to back-seat drive on behalf of my wife when she's not along? And this is a FEATURE??? Somebody WANTS this???
    Yes.
    His wife wants this feature.

The rest of us classify it as a software glitch.