Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best vehicle for rooftop shooting?

Re: Best vehicle for rooftop shooting?

One nice thing about the full size pickup and a DiamondBack HD cover is that it is easy to climb onto and it has more than enough room. No falling backwards when under the dark cloth. Also, it is much easier to hoist up heavy camera gear and tripods and no paint scratching. Imagine the roof with a large camera bag, a bag of film holders, and some room to back up and view the ground glass (especially with 8x10) and these small vehicles will be limiting.

I would bet most newer vehicles do not have a roof that is safe to stand on without serious denting. Efforts to reduce costs, lower center of gravity to reduce rollover risk, and reduce weight to save fuel have doomed a rugged roof you can walk on. Many older vehicles don't have strong roofs either.

I like the photo of the vibe, but it is too far from my aesthetic ideas for me to ever own. I could own a matrix though. Presently I have a 1989 Saab hatchback which is quite rugged in comparison to today's sheetmetal. A small stepladder could get anyone atop a vehicle if it's on stable ground. The pickup truck is good too of course. A small investment/upgrade on uprated shocks might be worthwhile.

Big Negs Rock!

I have an 18' step van (Gumman body GMC chassis/engine) with hydraulic levelers. The tail gate rises to 4' from the diamond plate top. A four step ladder makes easy access. Whatever is on the tailgate can easily be put up there. I've done dolly moves on it and had large lights on it it too. There's a positive pressure filtered darkroom for film loading -- not wet. I'm about to sell it though. Too much. Too much.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

The problem with soft suspension on highway vehicles can be reduced by wedging sticks cut to an appropriate length between the frame and the ground. A fairly heavy wood platform mounted to the rain gutters of my '73 VW bug worked well. The camper shell on subsequent Ford Ranger pickups provided a flat surface for mounting a larger platform, although a platform can strain some camper shells.

After selecting a vehicle that's strong enough to hold you and a shooting platform, you might also consider stabilizing your vehicle, Some inexpensive RV jacks can keep the vehicle from moving a lot.
    http://tweetys.com/aluminum-stacker-jacks.aspx

Ford Escape held my 230 lb but i didn't use a tripod. I've used a tripod in the bed of a PU and on top of a roof ht platform I built in the bed. The key now is a way to get up [creeeeaak], hatchbacks don't do it.

One of you guys are gonna break your neck someday!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks for all of the useful insights guys. I like the old rover, and aluminum bed cover for the trucks ideas, although mileage & cost seem to still be issues. Like many things, its hard to get everything you want in one ride.
    Also, I hadn't thought of the need for stabilization, but my balance is not what it was 40 yrs. ago and I'm glad it was mentioned. In any event, i have some solid ideas to pursue...
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    That's just the ticket, Gudmundur. Mileage plus height. Let me guess, though, $35k, plus shipping?
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com