Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Benro tripod users?

Any Benro tripod users?

Wondering if anyone has experience with the new Benro carbon fiber tripods? I'm specifically looking at the C-358EX (just over 4 pounds) and the C-258EX (just over 3 pounds). Wondering about fit and finish, etc. Any thoughts on whether the 258 is too wimpy for a 10 pound load? (yes I realize we're top heavy.....) Would the 357/257 3-section versions be a significantly better option re rigidity--anyone compared them?

thanks

Re: Any Benro tripod users?

Hi Lloyd, I have a smallish Benro that I use for backpacking, weighs a little less than 2kg and as I use it for a very lightweight non folder it's fine. I also have a freind who has one of the larger ones, had it for the past 2 years I guess, maybe a little longer. He is quite hard on gear and is quite prolific in the amount of work he produces, hence the amount of use his gear gets. Replaced a Gitzo with ity when it snapped, he has no regrets thus far.
    In terms of fit and finish I have had no issues, nor Richard with his. Mine is very stable, given its size of course, and it locks well, the legs fit each other very well and have exhibited no play in the year or two I have had it. I am in fact about to get a heavier camera for day to day use and will want a new tripod to go with and would have no concerns about getting another Benro.
    Now I fully expect someone to come on here and say that anything oher than a gitzo/manfrotto/insert appropriate is false economy and that you would be wasting your money... maybe, but that's not been my experience, nor Richards.

Hope that helps
    Gari
    Last edited by gari beet; 13-Dec-2010 at 10:02. Reason: speeling!

Consider Feisol also.

I have the c-258ex, it is a great tripod. I use that and the Benro HD-38 pan/tilt head for my 8x10 deardorff with no problems. I know it seems small, but I have not had an issues with rigidity. And the combo is insanely light.

"I have the c-258ex, it is a great tripod. I use that and the Benro HD-38 pan/tilt head for my 8x10 deardorff with no problems. I know it seems small, but I have not had an issues with rigidity. And the combo is insanely light."

wow, and I was wondering if the 258 would hold a 5x7 Deardorff / RB67.........do you use the center hook with the 8x10?

I had the chance to handle both benro and feisol tripods at Fry's.

These were not the heavy duty models but I can tell you the feisol tripod was far and away better than the benro in initial quality.

Just to add to it... the benro was not as rigid and the ball head did not lock tight even after forcing the lock nut.

I have two and I love 'em.

I've always used Gitzo tripods and monopods. But they've gotten so expensive lately and the ones I've seen recently don't even feel as well-made as the old ones.

I picked up one of the small benro travel tripods for traveling with my mamiya 7 kit. It's super small and I think fairly sturdy for the size. It came with a QR ballhead. The had itself isn't so bad, it locks down fairly tight and operates smoothly. But the QR does not fit an arca standard plate which is a pain. I may replace the head at some point.

I recently bought a bigger tripod for my 4x5 work. It's the A358 M8. It's aluminum not carbon fiber. It's very sturdy and operates very easily, just as my gitzo used to. (The gitzo got stolen a while back.)

I was more hesitant to use the benro heads, so I got an arca ballhead. Needless to say it works perfectly and there were no problems mounting it on the Benro.

So far I'm very happy. Will a gitzo last longer? I don't know, but I'm tough on tripods and it's likely going to get lost/stolen/mangled before it wears out.

I do not usually use the center hook. I think most people get tripod that are much larger than they need. Both the tripod and head are rated far above what my deardorff, with a 300mm lens, weighs.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
    Wondering if anyone has experience with the new Benro carbon fiber tripods? I'm specifically looking at the C-358EX (just over 4 pounds) and the C-258EX (just over 3 pounds). Wondering about fit and finish, etc. Any thoughts on whether the 258 is too wimpy for a 10 pound load? (yes I realize we're top heavy.....) Would the 357/257 3-section versions be a significantly better option re rigidity--anyone compared them?

thanks
    Not specifically the model you are interested in, but you might want to have a look at this one review (scroll down) re: Benro tripods. I realize one bad experience may not be the norm, but ..

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-C-058M8-.../dp/B002CVTUFQ