Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Updated: Photo Permits on US and California public lands

Re: Updated: Photo Permits on US and California public lands

Direct confrontation is not the only, and definitely not the most effective, way to fight this particular battle. Gabriel has obviously chosen the smartest and most efficient way.

Just like he previously acknowledged his awareness of the wording, so have they limited their future options by responding to his civilized inquiry and clarifying the ambiguity.

Had he chosen to not have done anything, this particular acknowledgment would not have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Direct confrontation is not the only, and definitely not the most effective, way to fight this particular battle. Gabriel has obviously chosen the smartest and most efficient way.

Just like he previously acknowledged his awareness of the wording, so have they limited their future options by responding to his civilized inquiry and clarifying the ambiguity.

Had he chosen to not have done anything, this particular acknowledgment would not have happened.
    Isn't that what I said?

Rick "arguments are down the hall" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Isn't that what I said?

Rick "arguments are down the hall" Denney
    It is, in a sense that direct confrontation can be very costly. I felt like pointing that there is a difference between choosing a different means to fight and choosing not to fight at all. Gabriel chose the former and I thought it was a great choice, worth mentioning.

Marko

And sometimes in public places, it is not OK, even when it is OK:

MIAMI -- A man was arrested and turned over to federal authorities Tuesday after police said he was taking photos of "sensitive areas" inside and outside of a terminal at Miami International Airport.

According to the incident report from Miami-Dade County police, on Jan. 11th, 32-year-old Oluwole Aboyade was seen walking through the airport and taking pictures.

A sergeant stopped Aboyade in the Dolphin parking garage.

In the incident report, he wrote: “I explained to Mr. Aboyade that I was alarmed by his behavior and concerned for the safety of people and property in the area.”

Police said Aboyade did not give them any information about what he was doing or why. In the incident report, the sergeant described his behavior as "evasive."

Police said there was no indication Aboyade had a plane ticket.

Shortly after the confrontation, the sergeant led Aboyade inside the terminal, where he was detained.

After further investigation, federal immigration authorities said Aboyade was in the country illegally and wanted for violating U.S. immigration law.

Because Miami International Airport is a public facility, anyone is allowed to take video and pictures inside.

An official from the Transportation Security Administration told Local 10 that if photography is stepping over the line into surveillance, TSA agents should alert police, which is what happened in Aboyade's case.

Aboyade is currently in custody at the Krome North Detention Center.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

A couple of years ago I had my 4x5 Tachihara setup in Bahia Honda state park, under the old bridge that is closed and no longer used. I've included a photo below from my DSLR so you can see for yourself what kind of shape the bridge is in.

Great place to shoot IMO, the bridge, the palm trees, the water, and the small chance I might actually get to see a Miami Blue butterfly, one of the most rare and endangered butterflies in the world, with one of the last known spots for them to live is under the old bridge in Bahia Honda state park.

Well, with my ole 4x5 out, some well meaning person "reported strange activity" in that somebody had "some kind of device on a tripod" pointed at the bridge.

So two state park rangers show up, talk to me, and in the end everything worked out fine as they were actually quite nice people and one of them actually knew what a large format camera was. Something "that old" wasn't a threat to anyone, and for what it is (or was ) worth, I got the feeling that I was just another one of those eccentric people they see all the time down in teh Keys.

But what got me is I thought they would be more concerned about the butterfly, but no, they had to investigate the "threat" against the bridge. Ah well.

Anyhow, still haven't been able to photograph the butterfly, but will try again. Although I only shoot B&W in my 4x5, the light blue colour of the Miami Blue I think would make for phenominal grey tones in a good old B&W print. I will not try to photograph the bridge however.

As for the bridge, take a look at my attached photo below, and, well, you'll see why I was kinda bewildered at the time....
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?