Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Death Valley Advice re Racetrack & Saline Valley

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: Need Death Valley Advice re Racetrack & Saline Valley

Leon, Jeffrey and Michael;

Thank you very much for your salient advice re Saline Valley and the Racetrack. I definitely need to move closer so that I can camp here some time!

BTW, when you camp, do you actually pitch a tent? I would be inclined to clear the back half of my 4x4 and pitch a mattress in and camp that way! Hell, if it meant getting good evening and then good morning light and not driving back in the dark, I would "camp" by sleeping on the back seat of the rental even though my motel room is paid for!! Is this at all feasible and safe to do?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

And then sometimes weather can limit your options....

•Artists Drive - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Badwater Road (CA Hwy 178) - Open, use caution due to standing water and flood debris.
    •Big Pine Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Dante's View Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Devil's Golf Course Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Eureka Valley Road (north and south) - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Harry Wade Road - Open, but has not been checked; high-clearance 4WD recommended due to deep sand.
    •Hunter Mountain Road - Open, but has not been checked; 4WD and snow chains recommended.
    •Keane Wonder Mine Road - CLOSED; road and mining area closed to all entry due to safety hazards.
    •Mustard Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Racetrack Valley Road - Open, but has not been checked; The playa is wet, DO NOT walk on it and leave footprints.
    •Saline Valley Road (North Pass) - CLOSED due to flood damage and snow.
    •Saline Valley Road (South Pass) - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Titus Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Twenty Mule Team Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Lower Wildrose Canyon Road - Open, use caution due to flood amage.
    •Upper Wildrose Road - CLOSED 1/2 miles below Charcoal Kilns; Mahogany Flat Road currently not accessible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drew Wiley

Another interesting feature at the north end of the park on the way to the Racetrack
    is Ubehebe Crater. As others have noted, Death Valley is a big place from one end
    to the other; and I'd classify Saline Valley as an excursion by itself - one can get
    trapped back there a couple weeks at a time due to snow. Extra food,water, gas, spare tires (and extra film) would seem essential. But given this latest flurry of very serious storms, any 4WD road would seem to warrant questioning. And more rough
    weather is on the way!

Michael E. Gordon

Richard: I NEVER pitch a tent. Mostly because I hate taking the time to set up and tear down, but also because it mostly never rains enough in California to bother (until now )

I was in Saline Valley for a couple of nights just a week ago. One night around 1230am, the rain began gently tapping me awake. I simply moved into the back of my (shell-covered) truck and went back to sleep. No biggie.

Feasible and safe? Absolutely. Way safer than Etobicoke I've NEVER had trouble any in ANY backcountry, and fewer humans generally equals less likelihood of trouble. I'd feel not near as safe hanging around Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    And then sometimes weather can limit your options....

•Artists Drive - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Badwater Road (CA Hwy 178) - Open, use caution due to standing water and flood debris.
    •Big Pine Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Dante's View Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Devil's Golf Course Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Eureka Valley Road (north and south) - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Harry Wade Road - Open, but has not been checked; high-clearance 4WD recommended due to deep sand.
    •Hunter Mountain Road - Open, but has not been checked; 4WD and snow chains recommended.
    •Keane Wonder Mine Road - CLOSED; road and mining area closed to all entry due to safety hazards.
    •Mustard Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Racetrack Valley Road - Open, but has not been checked; The playa is wet, DO NOT walk on it and leave footprints.
    •Saline Valley Road (North Pass) - CLOSED due to flood damage and snow.
    •Saline Valley Road (South Pass) - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Titus Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Twenty Mule Team Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
    •Lower Wildrose Canyon Road - Open, use caution due to flood amage.
    •Upper Wildrose Road - CLOSED 1/2 miles below Charcoal Kilns; Mahogany Flat Road currently not accessible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Holy *h*t !! I sure hope things get better by end of Jan. or maybe I should cancel DV and go South to Organ Pipe etc.??!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Holy *h*t !! I sure hope things get better by end of Jan. or maybe I should cancel DV and go South to Organ Pipe etc.??!!
    Not necessarily. Death Valley is a big place. Just go where you can safely, and not plan long days on the road. You will find plenty of accessible areas, just not all.

It has often been mentioned what a wonderful place this forum is for information on the medium of photography, and the related technical aspects. This particular thread, although unrelated specifically to photography, is full of factual and pertinent information on the topic. For one who has spent decades past in these areas, I am very impressed with the responses.

Richard, take your trip, and heed the good advice. You will be fine, and will have a terrific experience. Just be aware of the behavior of nature.

Have a terrific trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post

Richard, take your trip
    I will.
    and heed the good advice.
    I will!

You will be fine, and will have a terrific experience. Just be aware of the behavior of nature. Have a terrific trip!
    I will!! Thanks Merg. Sincere thanks also to all who provided the exceptional advice in this thread!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Winter is the best time for a photography road trip in the west. I've been doing mine with a small compact low-clearance Toyota Echo. If a weather system is not bearing down and the car can do it, I go for it. Before crossing any streams I walk across them to make damn sure that I'm not going to get stuck in the middle. It's usually a long walk back to the road and a tow truck is going to cost big time!

Was in the Valley today. Came in from Shoshone and the south passes. Still water in the roads but passable. The tide is going out at Badwater but still plenty of opportunity to get a kayak in. Plenty of water for reflections of Telescope peak off Morman Point. All the flats have swollen and are rough to walk. Can walk down to Devil's Golf Course. Golden Canyon is open. Most everything else is closed to vehicles. More rain expected next weekend. If this keeps up there should be a good flower show this spring.
    Ric

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I'm heading to DV the morning of the 25th (tomorrow) for four days. Most of my canyon hideaways for camping are inaccessable now. Still, I'm hoping to catch some good light and the unexpected magic that can just happen to you. One thing about nature photography, you get what's there when you're there!