Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the event that being at photo net sux....

Old School Wayne

In the event that being at photo net sux....

I vote that we convene a secret discussion at Josh's place, in the event that ph oto.net ends up sucking really bad because of massive increase in traffic. Hopef ully that wont be the case but we may end up finding out how good we have had it all these years. I know I wont hang around if I have to sift through 75 answers to each message. Life is too short

http://joshwand.com/q-and-a/index.php?topic=Large Format Photography (hopefully this is OK with Josh!)

See ya there, or somewhere! I've really enjoyed this forum. Thanks Q and Phil. B ye-bye Lusenet. sniff sniff sniffle....oh waaaaaaaaaa

Old School Wayne

rats,,,uhhh wasnt thinking...can someone delete this thread after we leave here and before we go to photo net? ;-) ;-)

Just checked photo.net, and the server isnt available! It should be just like old times.

If Josh is amenable...

Sorry, slightly OT...

My main worry is photo.net's "Privacy" policy which basicly states that they reserve the right to use any personal information for their own purposes and pass it on to "affiliates" - i.e. stand by for more spam....

"We may share User Information with our partners, affiliates and joint venturers that are committed to serving your need for the Services and improving your user experience"...

Yeah, right! Heard those platitudes somewhere before....

The bottom line is that photo.net is a run as a business, and we all know how far you can trust *them* on the 'net. I for one will not be giving photo.net any valid email addresses or other personal info which means I guess that I will now be restricted to Read-Only mode on the forum (I heard that cheering at the back!).... The beauty of Lusenet (apart from its quality of content) is that I can happily use a valid email address, something I would never do if spam was a likely result.

Cheers,

Change is always traumatic. I've had an account with Photo.net for 2 years and am not aware of receiving any spam as a result. My primary concern is that it will be a slow connection.

I"d rather be at photo.net than any of the other servers that were mentioned as possible alternatives. I guess the era of the "free lunch" is rapidly coming to a close. There will be many new people added to this community, and response time will be slower. Perhaps ,it will give all of us a reason to carefully read the questions and think about our responses before we react with richeous indignation when we think that someone is criticizing our favorite brand of equipment.

Ed - glad to hear you have not been noticably spammed since using photo.net - but the fact that they reserve the right to do so fires off alarm bells - perhaps I am being paranoid, but if you have no intention of doing something, why reserve the right to do it?

Both Yahoo and Hotmail for example suddenly decided to overwrite their user's privacy settings and make their accounts open to spamming from Yahoo and MS affiliates...

I have only dipped into photo.net a dozen times or so, so have no idea how good/bad their service is in terms of speed & availability in the long term.

Unfortunately, I have no alternative to photo.net other than that proposed by others: to run the forum on a standard ISP account and find the running costs from somewhere (anyone out there with a T1 or E1 they are not using?)...

Cheers,

so what's new with photonet? I haven't been able to get on since last night, and even when I could, it wouldn't let me register.

So are these regualr outage usual?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

same here...dunno, but I saw your post about removing glasseine sleeves from stuck negs...that's a good one to remember....

Greetings,

I've had an account on photo.net for several years and haven't detected spam as a result of that account. I still prefer this forum, but it appears this will no longer be an option. There is another group, which some members of this forum participate in as well: www.f32.net

Regards,