Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 enlarger

4x5 enlarger

My MCRX is just a pain in the patooty to adjust and frankly I'd rather have some thing else. So much for used Bessler's. I'm reading good things about D5's. What about something used and easy to align without breaking the bank.

Senior for sure

4x5 enlarger

Since I've taken up LF, I've learned "breaking the bank" is a relative term. Still, with some creative Ebaying, some pleading with the manufacturer, and the generous cooperation of a listmember, I wound up up with a new (if originally somewhat "scattered") Saunders/LPL 4500ii dichroic for less than 1/2 price. Some alignment was required as all the bits normally come factory aligned when they all come together, but it is dead simple - loosen two hex bolts, align, retighten, and your frying paper. To knock it out of alignment, I will have to kick it. Hard. The massive single column seems infinitely preferable to the parallel(?) rails. D5 would be a good choice as well, I would think. Only negative (NPI) with the Saunders/LPL, was having to purchase a 4x5 negative carrier to go with a 4x5 enlarger...(duh...)

4x5 enlarger

Look for an Omega D2.

4x5 enlarger

I don't know how common they are in the US, but if you can, get a DeVere enlarger, preferably a 10x8 floor standing model. It's built like something designed for use in a battle. On the down side, you'll need a ceiling about 12 feet high and they weigh a lot.

4x5 enlarger

You never know when you'll find a deal.

I got a decent deal on my enlarger by finding a graphics place going digital. I got an Omega D5500 (had been advertised as a D5) with dichroic head, chromegatrol stabilized power supply and timer, power lift, power focus, wall mount and brace, 30x40 vacuum easel and pump, Beseler 20x24 4 blade easel, drop top table, 3 Rodagon lenses (50, 80, 135) on a turret, negative carriers, and extra bulbs for $800. Somehow I managed to fit it all in my Honda.

Interestingly, shortly after that, I was given a Beseler 45 MXT, Omega B-66, Nikon lenses (50 and 135), a Beseler drop top table, and a copy stand. My wife was amazingly patient with the Beseler staying in the living room and the 4x5 Omega in the bedroom until I sold the Beseler. I wanted a dichroic head and the Beseler packed better. Occasionally fate does smile brightly upon me, but it has taken its pound of flesh during grad school.

DW

4x5 enlarger

I need to tell you that some time ago I was in the same situation as you, with the same enlarger...! I change to the best relation price/quality I found, the LPL 5492 with the color head (new, with the 250watt lamp). It doesn't have screws or any device for alignment, but you can do this job easily if you need it (I test alignment frecuently with a bubble level and NEVER need to align something!!) I'm so happy with this enlarger. Of course I know what is a Durst L1200, but it is out of my budget... including the second hand ones...

Good luck,

4x5 enlarger

I agree with Armin ...now this is a good time to look for an enlarger, many labs went digital and sell their equipments.. ask around...you will be surprised with choices....

4x5 enlarger

How are the D6's? And figure I want to spend $500 or less for your rec.

4x5 enlarger

Forget the rest and buy a Durst L1200. You will be hard pressed to find anything better. Recently I saw one for sale on Photo.net for $2k including 2 Schneider lenses, a 20x24 easel, a Peak grain magnifier, and a metrolux timer. What a deal! That stuff is worth over $5,000 new!

Bill

4x5 enlarger

Wayne, doubt that you could find an Omega D-5 in good condition that would fall within your price range. Your best bet would be an Omega D- 2. Try contacting Harry at classic-enlargers.com He sells re-built D- 2's, and he specializes in Omegas.