Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: British Landscape Photographers

Re: British Landscape Photographers

I think where filtration is concerned, then controlling excess contrast through the use of graduated neutral-density filters is fair game, although I agree that some photographers tend to over do filtration at times in an attempt to dramatise or romanticise the scene. The photographs by Harry Cory-Wright seem to be more towards `realism` than making `picture postcard` type images.

[QUOTE=alanps;295419]John Blakemore and Thomas Joshua Cooper are demi-gods and in my opinion the two finest in the field globally (not just the UK)QUOTE]

Thomas Joshua Cooper was one of the two teachers at the university I attended (before he went to Scotland). He is one of the most powerful influences on the way I photograph. Due to his intensity and personal vision, I began my own exploration into seeing/photography over 25 years ago.

He is someone that thru example showed me the old saying "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." is rubbish. It should be "Those who can, do, those who understand, teach."

Vaughn

Over on APUG, each title of each thread also has the date it was started -- very helpful.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 2-Dec-2007 at 10:58. Reason: added an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thomas Joshua Cooper was one of the two teachers at the university I attended (before he went to Scotland). He is one of the most powerful influences on the way I photograph. Due to his intensity and personal vision, I began my own exploration into seeing/photography over 25 years ago.

Vaughn
    I am not familar with TJC, you mention that he lives in Scotland. Does he teach photography? Does he shoot B&W and/or use an LF Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    I am not familar with TJC, you mention that he lives in Scotland. Does he teach photography? Does he shoot B&W and/or use an LF Camera?
    He founded the Department of Photography at the Glasgow School of Art in 1982. He uses a 5x7, prints large silver gelatin prints.

http://fineart.ac.uk/artists.php?idartlist=171

Goggle will bring up tons of info/images.

A very rough description of his working methods (which my info might be out-dated) is that he exposes very little film, and once he captures what he wants onto a sheet of film, he spends days/weeks on a print. Every square cm of his prints have meaning.

Simply, photography is not a form of mechanical reproduction, but an art form.

Vaughn