Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: British Landscape Photographers

British Landscape Photographers

Perhaps the way to address this question is to first ask Lisa a question:

What do you consider Modern Landscape photography? Can you offer any hint of content, style, vision, execution? If so, it may be easier for people to offer you help!

As sent to Lisa:

Ah - apologies for the possible slurr!

:-)

tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Lisa, your question is a good one. I shoot mostly B&W and really enjoy seeing what other photographers are doing. It always struck me that that the better images(to me) never screamed FILTER ALERT, though I know that without a filter, a marginal sky gets blown out (like when shot with ortho,) and lush foliage can get muddy(unlike when shot using ortho) While a really dramatic sky(if thats an element of the photo) can photograph very well without filteration, I think its pretty widely accepted that filteration is a useful tool for B&W to put elements of the image that may be lost back into the image. IMHO it can be overdone. In the field of color photography, I find that Chris Burkett(not a Brit), who is argueably one of the finest color landscape photographers around, doesn't use filters at all. I suggest that YOU grab your favorite flavor format and start taking those exciting new B&W filterless landscapes. Seeing the image is half(probably more than half)the battle, and since you already seem to know what kind of pictures you like, you might as well have at it! Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lisa, In aditionto Fay Godwin and John Blakemore (now retired), try Thomas Joshua Cooper (born American, but living and working in Scotland). There are numerous other photographers who work in the way you require, but who are not published - try the regional arts boards and their web sites. good luck Robin

Stephen Vaughan

Hi Lisa, have a look at british photographer Jem Southam (books include 'Red River'/'Raft of Carrots'/and most recently 'Rockfalls, Rivermouths and Ponds'. The work is 10x8 colour. Prints are monumental.

would be interested to know what you think.

you might also try looking at Gerhard Stromberg's work (german resident in UK)

for colour 10x8 images of the british coast try Harry Cory Wright at Saltwater Bo

My vote's for Fay Godwin. Check out her book Land, a spectacular collection of b&w images.

Ever checked out John Davies? He doesn't do color as far as I know, but you might be interested. He visited a couple times while I was at the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff. One of my all-time favorite photographs is his of the Pendlebury Power Station:

http://www.sussed-exhibition.co.uk/content/06%20artworks/23.htm

You have to see the print in person to really appreciate it. They are simple and beautiful, but at the same time have a lot going on (football players, cooling tower, gypsies). Here's a website:

http://www.daviesphoto.demon.co.uk/

Not all use of filters is enhancing. It can be a correction back to our vision (vs. that of the film). Cornish for example uses lots of ND grad filters; if done well it is more realistic than without.

Lisa, probably my favourite contempory landscape photographer - UK born (Lancashire) but now living in the US is Michael Kenna ( http://www.michaelkenna.net ). Not sure if this fits your criteria, but then, I am not sure what your criteria is....

Cheers,

There is plenty of landscape out there - get out and take some pictures... I often use a polariser or a 1.5 or 3.0 pink correction filter.

How long is you course? What do they teach you? What gear do you have? Are you into landscape with architecture?

I am at Evesham, 45 minutes form Aston uni.