Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: British Landscape Photographers

British Landscape Photographers

I'm studying photography at Aston Univerisity in Birmingham, England and my goal is to find a landscape photographer who uses meduim or large format and natural light rather than enhancing an image with the use of filters. I've ploughed thr ough lots of magazines here and they all feature the same old boring stuff by Ch arlie Waite, David Ward and Joe Cornish ect but all of those use filters extensi vley. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'll be very grateful. The only other thing is that he or she needs to be British. (the photographer, n ot the poster)

thanx. Lisa

There is this grand dame of British or for that mater European landscape photography: FAY GODWIN. There was also one of the worlds greatest photographers that made good photograps (unfiltered) of the British landscape: BILL BRANDT There is a catch though: They were both born in Hamburg, Germany. But great Britons still.

<a name="1">You may want to see the photos of Paul Cunningham.</a> He was one of PDN's 30 photographers this year. Check out www.pdnonline.com/ gallery/pdns30/2002. Click on "PDN's 30" in the lower left of the popup window.

My code was partially destroyed, so don't copy and paste the URL that you can see. If you click on it, though, you will visit the correct page.

A picture of a road, with a stop sign, or one of a a cow with some flats in the background is hardly my choice of landscape. http://www.djclark.com/godwin/gal11.htm Personally I think anyone who has eyes and a camera could do that! Lisa.

Hi Matthew, An image of half a tennis court? Is that landscape photography? I must be missing something here. Or perhaps my art teacher needs the sack. Or maybe I need to find another career!

Lisa.

My favorite British landscape photographer is John Blakemore. Uses 4x5. Last I heard he was teaching in Derby.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Hi Lisa,

You don't want the "old boring stuff" but seem put off by anything different?

"A picture of a road, with a stop sign, or one of a a cow with some flats in the background is hardly my choice of landscape. http://www.djclark.com/godwin/gal11.htm Personally I think anyone who has eyes and a camera could do that!"

Actually Lisa, now living several thousand miles away now, it captures exactly a place close to where I grew up. Fay Godwin's work is very interesting - try looking over the whole range - especially black and white. Try Edge of the Land.

"An image of half a tennis court? Is that landscape photography?"

Yes it is (or can be)

"I must be missing something here."

sounds like it

"Or perhaps my art teacher needs the sack".

Wouldn't suprise me at all

Take a look at some of the following photographers(not Brits) and give us an opinion, based on your teachers approach and we'll confirm it for you! - Thomas Struth (especially in this context "Dandelion Room), Andreas Gursky, Richard Misrach, Gabrielle Basilico, William Eggleston.

There are an awful lot of art teachers out there who know little of contemporary photography.

Tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hmmm,

looks to me like Lisa's a LF Troll - her emails bounce back from the list
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Dear Tim, Sorry for the wrong email, here is my real addy. getting my .com's mixed up with my .nets in all the excitement!

LisaBevis@fs.net