Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

What's the point?

No, I'm not thinking of jumping off a bridge, swallowing poison, or watching a Matthew McConaughey movie; this pertains mostly to architectural photography.
    I'd like to ask, with the stitching and perspective control available in PS, and armed with, say, a 5D MkII and maybe even a tilt/shift lens, why would I or anyone bother shooting LF?
    Am I carrying around all that gear for a small increase in image quality?
    I have to correct in PS half the time as it is; I imagine this might get better over time as I'm a newbie to the precision involved with buildings, but I'd still have to use PS.
    I shot four buildings yesterday from a moving car with my 5D, and I was able to correct all but one in PS in under 5 minutes each. When I go back with a tripod and a few minutes to spare, the photos will turn out much better, but still...
    I've never been an advocate of "fix it in the mix", but it's quite tempting to try to work that way.

Re: What's the point?

The main reason IMHO is that many people simply enjoy the whole LF photography process and experience. I certainly enjoy it much more than I enjoy using a digital camera though I use the digital camera most of the time now. But other than simply enjoying it there probably aren't a whole lot of really compelling reasons for maybe 95% of the people 95% of the time.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

For what purpose are you shooting the architecture? For commercial purposes in terms of workflow and meeting general client needs, I don't think there is any question that a FF DSLR with t/s lenses is superior. Thats what I make a living with. BUT you have to work carefully to maximize image quality including the distortion and artifacts that are introduced by serious PC in PS. Hence why good T/S lenses are invaluable. There is a ton about this on my blog linked below. For personal work, expressive b&w for gallery shows etc., I prefer the 4x5 VC.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The main reason IMHO is that many people simply enjoy the whole LF photography process and experience.
    I have to agree with this. I enjoy LF camera time much more than I enjoy computer time. I'd rather spend my time behind a camera than in front of a computer.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    I have to agree with this. I enjoy LF camera time much more than I enjoy computer time. I'd rather spend my time behind a camera than in front of a computer.
    +1, absolutely.

To reply to Kirk, I am working for commercial clients, so yes, speed is as important to them as is quality. If I'm shooting film, it's almost always for myself or perhaps the portfolio.
    Last edited by Ari; 17-Dec-2010 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    For personal work, expressive b&w for gallery shows etc., I prefer the 4x5 VC.
    Kirk is this because of image quality, or because you enjoy the view camera itself?Do you do any personal work with your Canon at all?

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'd like to ask, with the stitching and perspective control available in PS, and armed with, say, a 5D MkII and maybe even a tilt/shift lens, why would I or anyone bother shooting LF?
    Last time I saw a 5D MkII they still hadn't put anywhere for the film to go.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I shot four buildings yesterday from a moving car with my 5D...
    Since you are photographing from a moving car (bad idea!), why would you want to use a view camera? This is really giving the phrase, "drive-by shooting," a whole new, yet still dangerous, meaning. "Uh, yes, your Honor, I was distracted while driving by using the superior perspective control of my view camera, and that's why I wiped out a busload of nuns and orphans." Innocence by reason of view camera isn't a valid defense.

And here I thought that cell phone drivers were bad. Now we've got to contend with somebody fiddling with an 11x14 while doing 70 in a 35!

Its a zen thing. An elegant process and perhaps a special print. Not the same as a quick disposable snapshot.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

If I understand your question correctly .. "I can shoot four buildings without stopping my car and that seems good enough since I can fix em in PS ".. why bother w/ LF?
    Then I would agree that there would be no need to mess with LF
    although personally I find it to be a far fetched idea to say the least