Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: KB Canham Comes Through - 8x10 T Max Available

Re: KB Canham Comes Through - 8x10 T Max Available

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    At 69$ per 10 sheet box i think it will take a long time to fill the order!
    The "nay sayers" win the point.

First we lost 50 sheet boxes
    Now it is prepaid special order.

At 7 dollars a sheet before Mr. Canham's offer to kick in a 10 percent discount it is a massive increase in a short period as Kodak maneuvers themselves in to a risk free higher margin production run position on emulsions they feel they have a strangle hold on.

Boys, at least call a joker a joker, we have had a stick poked into our eye and there is little most of us can do about it. Lets just stop playing nice and stop touting the line we are Blessed by Farther Yellow for making the special run for us.

They are wetting themselves laughing at the thought of how the ledgers will be looking soon.

But they forgot one AddSum in the ledger.

=sum(TMY/HP5)

As a side note, I blame Jim Kitchen for some of my anger with Kodak!
    I gave up on them and then he published all his amazing data on TMY in X-tol, luring me back in to buy some Yellow again. Damn you Jim!

John, you hit the nail on the head. For most of my extended road trips the cost of the film is almost negligible. Gas, car wear and tear, lodgings and food are the killer - not to mention the shrink for the wife when we return.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    And the photographs you make: priceless!
    (Ahhh, how did a moth get on the film?)
    (Is that my thumb there?)
    (Uhh, reciprocity, right...)
    (Oh, move the f/stop the other way...)
    (Angels? No.... ah, nuts, not a light leak!)
    (Stupid wind!)
    (Ow ow ow ow! Tripod leg spikes and Birkenstocks do not mix!!! Owweeee!)
    Lol, or how about I better make a second exposure to correct development in case the first one doesn't come out right, but the first one always does so you don't need the second sheet after all.

This is getting me thinking about starting to hoard some film, at least to get a buffer between batch orders like this, and perhaps to hedge against future price increases or discontinuation.

How long can 400 speed film be kept with no fogging in the freezer? I was thinking of getting some boxes of film and wrapping them in lead flashing and putting them in the freezer. But then I thought bare lead mixed with food maybe isn't such a great idea. Then I thought about perhaps a lead vest like used in radiography, and read they are made of lead wool, which sounds even worse than solid lead to be putting in food storage. Maybe I'll wrap the film in lead and then ziplock bag it. I could get a second chest freezer, but I'm afraid the electricity costs might eat up any potential benefit from hedging my film supply

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    When taking a photo safari, the following costs are incurred:
    Gasoline $0.25/mile
    Tolls $50/trip
    Meals $20-$50/day
    Rooms $50-$200/day
    Film $72/day ($6/sheet x 12 sheets)
    Chemicals $10/day for film and paper developers and fix.
    Photo Paper Figure 1/5 of the film cost to proof the negatives $15/day
    Sometimes Workshop tuitions $400-$600

Film (even at $6/sheet) is still less than 1/4 of the total cost. I think I'll spring for the $6.20/sheet TMY.

BUT, it sure makes the stuff I bought last week for $5.40/sheet (including shipping) and the stuff I purchased for $3/sheet back in 2007 look like bargains!

The only thing worse than spending $6.20/sheet is waking up one day to find it is unavailable. It will never be cheaper or more available than it is now, so stock up while you can.
    That is how I see it John.

Super XX in ULF sizes was exorbitantly expensive per unit in the late 1980's but somehow people that felt that they wanted to have this film as a vehicle to express themselves optimally found a way to make it work. Where there is a will, there is always a way. I know that I just need to get on the phone and close some additional deals. No biggie.

One of the benefits of TMY is it's ability to build density. I doubt a little fog will have more than a negligable impact. Just print through it.

With other films, that don't build density as well, the fog might cause some major issues.

Drew Wiley

The expiration date on the TMY I just got is still three years away at shelf temp. Frozen it should be longer, and TMX should be even longer than that. But I don't plan
    to keep more than a 3 yr supply OH anyway. In other words, I'd be game for joining
    a batch order 2 yr from now.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    This is getting me thinking about starting to hoard some film, at least to get a buffer between batch orders like this, and perhaps to hedge against future price increases or discontinuation.

How long can 400 speed film be kept with no fogging in the freezer? I was thinking of getting some boxes of film and wrapping them in lead flashing and putting them in the freezer. But then I thought bare lead mixed with food maybe isn't such a great idea. Then I thought about perhaps a lead vest like used in radiography, and read they are made of lead wool, which sounds even worse than solid lead to be putting in food storage. Maybe I'll wrap the film in lead and then ziplock bag it. I could get a second chest freezer, but I'm afraid the electricity costs might eat up any potential benefit from hedging my film supply
    I have had TMY on ice for about five years - no problem. TMX will last even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    With the 10% discount it comes down to $62 per box.

Is that $6.20 per sheet ?
    Yes sir. The film is in fact that good.

If that puts your shorts in a knot, while you are sitting down ask someone that shoots 20x24 what they are paying for sheet film if they can find it?

Welcome to a niche market......

Sounds totally reasonable to me... I'm used to $10/sheet with 400 NC.

If you really like this film that much more than the competition, $6-7 per sheet is absolutely nothing.