Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AgX Imaging Flextight scans for $10!!! vs older hi-res scanners

AgX Imaging Flextight scans for $10!!! vs older hi-res scanners

I was just about to post a request for recommendations for under $2500 3000 SPI "desktop" 4x5 scanners, when I saw Eric James quip into the Scanner ROI thread about AgX's $10 Flextight scans.

Can anyone comment on quality of this service?

I've been shooting medium format and scanning on my Nikon 9000 for years and have a good "RAW" workflow. I'm making work to exhibit and sell, and I want to break beyond my current 17x22 limit. For weeks I've been slogging through the archives trying to wrap my head around old Eversmarts, Microtek's, or Leafs.

$10 Flextight scans might save me a lot of time and trouble.

Re: AgX Imaging Flextight scans for $10!!! vs older hi-res scanners

I used AgX for scans from my 4x5s, and I thought Mike did an outstanding job. He even sent me two versions of one transparency- don't remember the reason he wasn't happy with ver. 1, but he only charged for one scan and sent me both versions. If you want extra spotting etc, I think it's $20. That said, the $10 scans were extremely clean, and I see no reason to go beyond standard service. Mike cares about the scans, not just pushing them thru ASAP.

Plus he charges real shipping rates, not inflated ones like some others. I figure at these prices, I can get 1500-2000 scans before I start to break even on buying one

And with the official discontinuance of the 9000 in the USA (Precision Camera in Austin posted today at getdpi.com forum that they were notified and backorders cancelled), you should be able to get a nice price on the 9000 to apply to the equation as well.

If you don't need a drum scan, this is a really good deal.

Jonathan,

While I can't comment on his scans, I can comment on Mike's service. I have used him for some E-6 processing and his service in this category is exemplary. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    If you don't need a drum scan, this is a really good deal.
    Isn't a Flextight scan equivalent to a drum scan? Won't a Flextight get me to at least a 3 foot wide print with critical detail?

It's not equal to a good drum scan, but the hardware will outperform a desktop flatbed by a nice margin. You should be able to make a pleasing 3' print. Will it be as absolutely good as the ultimate, best possible drum scan? No, but it will be better than anything else at this level, and better than a lot of people's mediocre drum scans.

As with all of this stuff, the most critical factor is the scanner operator's skill and judgement. It sounds like this guy is quite a bargain, but having done services like this myself, it is really hard to justify doing the necessary time to do a good scan and supply good service for only $10 a pop. What usually happens is that he will get overwhelmed because he is a bargain, but the Flextight can only scan so fast, so quality and service usually declines or the price increases. I can't speak for this guy of course, and we should give him all the benefits of our doubt. Just saying, that's been my experience with good vendors when they under-value their services.

(Figure what your time is worth, plus $20K worth of investment in a system, plus taxes, plus backing up the data and delivering the data (upload or disc?), divided by 15-20 minutes per scan. Add a factor for assholes and screwing up. Lose or damage one piece of film and watch the gates of Hell open.... I bet it it is more than $30/hr.)

I've done some investigating also and would agree with Frank. The Flextight scanners (X5) have up to 4X5 capability but at about 2000DPI IIRC. 35 mm may be up to 8000DPI with 60X60 somewhere in between. For 4X5 you may be marginally better, resolution wise, than a V750 done carefully but you'll no doubt be better off Dmax wise with the Flextight. Much of what you are after depends on your criteria for a quality print.

I'm pretty fussy so pushing my V750 even with a custom wet mount setup I'm not quite satisfied with my 16X20 quality from the 3880 compared with my enlarger Ilfochromes.

As always I'd advise trying AgX with a sharp 4X5 image it is a heck of a good price.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Digital ICE, multi-scan, and 16 bit hardware capture are tremendous improvements to later CCD scanners, things that were simply unavailable a decade or more ago.

(Flextights have any of these?)

Nobody is answering at AgX-- can anyone tell me do they also do C-41 or are they E-6 only?

AFAIK, they only process E-6. Scans can be from E-6 or C-41 (or B&W, I think), the last I heard.

Just concerning the Imacon scanners - the X5 edges the Coolscan 9000 a bit, but not much. Nice is that one can get the raw (fff) files and use the FlexColor Software to get out what you want. I pay about €7 per 4x5 scan here in Germany.
    Matus