Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glassine sleeves

Glassine sleeves

I have come across many 4x5 negatives I shot in Switzerland in the 1960's and we re stored in glassine sleeves or envelopes. Less than perfect storage has resul ted in many of them being stuck to the negatives. I can carefully pull the gla ssine away from the negative but it leaves behind a residue. Any suggestions on removal? I tried rubbing Alcohol but it didn't seem to faze it... HELP

Glassine sleeves

Howdy Robert, i'll ask the custom lab tomorrow when i go to pick up some slides. If ALL else fails, I have a belt sander... Let you know after I speak with the lab manager.. m.

Glassine sleeves

Hi Robert, the George Eastman House has technicians who specialize in conservation of photographs and negatives. Try their web site for contact info. Good luck, David

Glassine sleeves

You may try (and the word is "try") one negative first, using Bestine. Bestine is nasty, probably carcinogenic but will remove any trace of glue based on rubber cement. Bestine can be bought in art supply stores and is usually used to thin rubber cement and clean art work (old fashioned paste up).

Glassine sleeves

Hi Robert,

I'l try to remeber to as our Conservator tomorrow.

Black and white I presume?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Glassine sleeves

Bestine is essentially Naptha. It's great stuff for certain things, although I've never tried it on transparency material. I clean b&w prints with it all the time. Good for removing finger prints. HOWEVER, this stuff is very volotile and extremely flammable! Be very careful where and how you use it, if you elect to try it. I remember as a student in college, an advertizing agency in a downtown Manhattan office building being gutted as a result of careless disposal of Naptha soaked rags. Defense de fumer, if you know what I mean.

Glassine sleeves

Call Kodak, or Ilford and they should tell you. I would be careful of any volitile solutions because they may leave a residue on the film and or disolve the emulsion. I would try, not peeling anything off, but mix a solution of photoflo and soak it. That should soften the glassine so you may be able tyo rub it off. Try one and see what happens. Kodak used to, or still does make a film cleaner.

Glassine sleeves

Robert, assuming that these are B&W negatives, re-wash them, use wetting agent, and hang to dry in a dust free area, just as you would do with a newly developed negative. Years ago, glassine and paper were the only materials available for neg. storage. The manufacturers were wise enough to know that moisture may be a problem, so they used water soluable glue on the envelope seams. Organic solvents, like alcohol, will not dissolve water-based glue.

Glassine sleeves

OK, no need for the belt sander yet!

I asked them at the lab this mrning and he pulled a small 4 oz. bottle from under the counter. Its available from large pro type camera stores or direct from the manufacturer.

PEC-12 PHOTOGRAPHIC EMULSION CLEANER FROM: PHOTOGRAPHIC SOLUTIONS INC. 7 GRANSTON WAY

BUZZARD BAY, MASS. 02532

PH. 508 759-2322

He said to not spray the neg, but to apply it to either some cheesecloth or an old lint free cotton t-shirt, or one of those lens cleaning rags.

I've seen this stuff at the local pro shop but have not needed it yet...

He told me it really works.

miles.

Glassine sleeves

Another thing...

the guy at the lab told me to have you store them in ACETATE SLEEVES before you put the negs in any other type of holder. I realize this was done years ago..

please post your success rate..