Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my LF camera today, now a question...

Got my LF camera today, now a question...

I just got my first LF camera today (a used Calumet 45N off eBay), and now I've got a couple of questions.

1. When I was taking some pictures today, my (homemade) focusing hood kept saili ng around in the wind. What's the best way to attach it to the camera? Is ther e a special way to sew it (maybe like a tent or something)?

2. I'm getting ready to develop the pics I took (Ilford Delta 100 in D-76), and I was wondering about developer capacity. I buy D-76 in the quart size, and the re's no information the envelope to help. For 35mm, I always diluted D-76 1:1 ( 4oz developer/4oz water). I figure a 4x5 neg has the equivalent surface area of a 15-exposure roll of 35mm film, so I should be able to develop two sheets in o ne mixture of D-76, right?

3. Is it better to place the file emulsion-side up or emulsion-side down in a tr ay to develop?

Thanks

Curtis

1) The folding focussing hoods are generally held in place by clips. If this is just something you jury-rigged, you could try those little bulldog clips or larger paper clips.

2) A roll of 35mm film has a surface area of approx. 80 sq in. The same as four 4x5 sheets. You basically want to ensure there is sufficient developing agent to develop the given surface area of film. I would suggest the following developer volumes. If you are using D76 1:1, use at least 125 ml per sheet of 4x5 film.

3) You'll get conflicting opinions on this. I personally find it easier with emulsion side down. When I develop emulsion side up, I often find that the sharp corner of the film I drop down onto the stack scratches the emulsion which is face up. Other folks seem to scratch the emulsion when the emulsion faces down and they scrape the emulsion along the bottom of the tray. So, if you lift the entire stack up before sliding a sheet out, I would suggest developing with emulsion face down. If you can drop the sheet you have removed perfectly flat without having a corner dig into the sheet below, I would suggest emulsion side up.

Good luck. Enjoy your camera. Cheers, DJ 3)

Thanks for the response.

Question #1 is actually referring to a focusing cloth, not focusing hood. Sorry for the confusion.

When you say to use 125 ml, is that 125 ml D-76 + 125 ml water, or 125 ml total (D-76 + water)?

I will address #1 only, I can add little of value to N Dhananjay's responses to 2 and 3.

I would be cautious about attaching the dark cloth to the camera. The wind can push the cloth around and depending on how sturdy the tripod is could cause the whole thing to come crashing to the ground if left unattended.

The cloth should be large enough to wrap completely around the back of the camera and still hang below the camera far enough that you can grab both sides in one hand. This will seal the cloth around the back of the camera and allow a free hand to make adjustments. You will need to gather the dark cloth up to put a clip on so why not utilize the most complex "clip" of all, your hand. It is also quite hard to misplace the "hand" clip. Like all things Large Format, this "dance of the dark cloth" takes time and practice to perfect.

Weights can be sewn in to the coners of the cloth. Just be prepared to be smacked in the mouth at least once, a rather unpleasent learning experience, but one you will definately profit from.

The "Dance of the Dark Cloth" can be simplified with a strip each of velcro hooks and loops. Squeeze the velcro together when you are focusing and remove the cloth before you move away from the camera.

For developing, I love my Jobo reel and tank. I roll it by hand in a 68 degree water bath. I get nice, even development with no scratches.

DW

Regarding numbers 2 and 3 (3 first): I agree with DJ in that you'll get conflicting opinions about emulsion up or down, but I think the general concensus is emulsion side up, pull from the bottom of the stack, and place on top. Don't try to slide the neg under the solution; instead lay it on top and apply pressure to submerge it. This will avoid the notorious corner digs and scratches. As far as developing in D-76 goes, why bother developing only a couple at a time? You'll easily be able to develop 6 or 8 4x5s in a liter of 1:1 in a 5x7 tray.

Regarding darkcloths...

I got a BTZS darkcloth. It works much better than a normal darkcloth with velcro. The BTZS darkcloth is smaller and uses elastic to attach to the camera. It's great to have both hands free and it's very quick to attach. I've used it in heavy wind with no problem. It is sort of pricy, but I think worth it.

http://www.darkroom- innovations.com/BTZS_Focus_Cloth/btzs_focus_cloth.html

If you go the route of velcro for attaching the dark cloth, use small pieces and put the hook side on the camera. The hooks will fill with lint if attached to the cloth and quit sticking. Be gentle when removing the cloth, it's easy to move the camera when disengaging the stuff. I use clothes pins (wood, of course) to attach mine to my field camera. They won't work if your camera doesn't have some sort of lip on the rear standard.