Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What subjects do we NOT shoot (and why)?

What subjects do we NOT shoot (and why)?

Nicholas, the first thing that came to mind was underwater photography. Difficult to do with a camera that has a bellows. Second, would probably be shooting in outer space, although a hand held Speed Graphic could be used to photograph through the window in the space shuttle. Probably would feel quite light to hold in a weightless environment.

Snakes with big sharp teeth. I hate snakes with big sharp teeth.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

thins that are moving fast...any sport events...

I don't think that I've seen an LF photo of a medical operation (blood and guts). It may be that the photographer and camera would get in the way, but there probably are situations where someone could make an LF photo.

I once stood across the table from a vet who single-handedly spayed a dog. About the only thing he asked me to do was to turn up the gas a little when the dog was too alert. For the rest of the time I watched and asked questions. I probably could have used a 4x5 camera without causing a huge distraction.

Come to think of it, the lights in those situations can be quite bright. Dentists, too, use such lights. This bright light could make it easier to focus and use a faster shutter speed, if the subject were moving.

Snakes and all sporting events were shot using Grafic cameras, also used to stop airplane props in flight, any thing you can shoot with a 35 can be shot with a LF, its just a little more trouble and sometimes harder. Pat

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I'll say it again - if it moves at all, it's too fast for me. It's amazing how fast a snail can be when seen through the ground glass of a Linhof Color...

Birds. Definitely birds. They are small, you need mid to extreme telephoto lenses so as to not scare them away by being too close, fast film, and after you get all set up you find out they are too darn fast moving anyway. I've been trying for years with the "right" equipment and it's still difficult.

This is pretty rhetorical. When my daughters were playing baseball in High School I'd go to the games several times a season and enjoy capturing the kids with a Nikon, Velvia (yes absolutely Velvia) and a 300mm f4 Nikkor. Usually I'd shoot 2 36 exposure rolls. Decisive moment and cost are just the tip of the iceburg as to why the Nikon was the right camera for the job. I took my 5X7 on an expensive rail opportunity at the Nevada Northern RR and wish every day I'd taken the Mamiya instead. I can't get my toddler grandson to hold still long enough to use a view camera. If someone wants color work I almost always use the Mamiya unless end results NEED to be bigger than 20X30 just because of costs.

Sure you COULD do any of these with LF (as the govt has proven for years taking 18X18" recon shots while moving at great speed), but that wasn't the question.

I tend to stay away from ugly and depressing things, moving or still, I don`t feel the need to record them...

If the dig at old barn photographs and a vision of large format photography as reeanactments of the past were a shot at me, an old barn photographer, let me just say you got me.

The original question I thought was more a question of what we liked to photograph. I also use my large format gear to photograph a new digital signal processing industrial controller my company is using. Large format was the perfect way to get a circuit board full of SMCs in a plane of focus while having the complete assembly visible as a background. That's the first time I've used LF for my company literature.