Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PayPal Incident

Re: PayPal Incident

[QUOTE=jb7;661098]Am I missing something here?

"ok, I don't sell anything, hardly ever, but I buy through ebay, and use paypal.
    or I buy through this site, and use paypal."

Yes. My basic point is do not use Pay Pay or Ebay at all. And if you use this forum instead of Ebay [where they beat you over the head to use Pay Pal], it is not hard to pay with classical methods for classical materials because the guys on this forum are generally guys with class!

joseph

Ok JMB, what's the alternative?
    Given that I've found something that I want here, that is isn't listed on ebay,
    and that a US member is willing to ship to me in Ireland,
    and given that an instantaneous transfer is often appreciated, and usually a necessity...

Genuine question, is there a cheap, reliable method to transfer funds trans-Atlantic ?

While it would be nice to think that everything I want is available here, it's not always the case-
    and even if I do find something, me and my kind are often excluded from transactions anyway-

Often, the classy guys only sell to each other-

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Ok JMB, what's the alternative?
    Given that I've found something that I want here, that is isn't listed on ebay,
    and that a US member is willing to ship to me in Ireland,
    and given that an instantaneous transfer is often appreciated, and usually a necessity...

Genuine question, is there a cheap, reliable method to transfer funds trans-Atlantic ?

While it would be nice to think that everything I want is available here, it's not always the case-
    and even if I do find something, me and my kind are often excluded from transactions anyway-

Often, the classy guys only sell to each other-

In the past, I've used Xe.com which is a Canadian based currency trading company. I was able to have money zapped from my account and a cheque mailed to the seller in the UK. When I did it, there were no fees - they make their money by using an exchange rate calculated using bid/sell currency prices. Haven't used it lately but they are large, reliable, and I can transfer money internationally very fast through them.

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rankin View Post
    I was able to have money zapped from my account and a cheque mailed to the seller in the UK.
    I looked at the site, looks too complicated (or rather, too opaque) for me, and a mailed cheque might be a little bit quaint for some-
    There doesn't seem to be a direct route to funds transfer, without engaging in the money markets- I could be wrong, but I doubt it's for me-

Though for a major transaction, it might be worth some investigation-

Thank you-

j

45-57-617

I'm not sure that some people understand the costs of PayPal.

Buyers cop a very bad conversion from $ to $US.
    Sellers also cop a fee.

So please, once-and-for-all ... it is not something that disadvantages buyers only!!

There has to be a cost of some kind to provide the service ! Do you expect that it might be free !?!?!

Bring on the worldwide money-changer that intentionally operates as a non-profit organisation.

joseph

The costs are significant- and I'm not happy with them, but tolerate them, although it's particularly galling for larger amounts.
    In fact, in order to circumvent them,
    the next time I sell a camera, I'll pay for the buyer's flight from the US*-

It'll save on shipping as well, and we might be able to squeeze in a day's shooting in Wicklow...

(I'm serious, expensive camera...)

*terms and conditions apply, does not include taxes, transfers, accommodation, travel to and from airport; amount based on lowest air fare NYC-DUB from previous five year period, payment to take the form of a discount on the purchase of a large format camera and accessories)

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

i bought some 4x5 holders from a fellow here on the forum, i paid through paypal and he mailed the holders and i recieved them promptly, after a few days he sent me an email asking me why i froze the payment, i told him that i didnt, i called my bank and they told me that paypal had not even tried to access my account, paypal said they would investigate the incident (an incident that really didnt even exist) the gentleman i bought the holders from and I kept in contact over the next couple of weeks, after about 3 weeks paypal released the funds. i was leary after that about using paypal.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Paypals great until you have a problem.... after an £8000 yes £8000.00 (Sterling not USD) fraud on my account and that mobs unbelievably bad handling of the whole affair I'm out...period! Paypal is the stuff of nightmares for many!

Kev,

Wow, scary! Might I ask how this occurred? Was it an account backed by bank account connection, or a credit card? I have a PayPal account, but am pretty paranoid about it and any other such things. I never use the "remember me" feature and never let my OS, or browser store my P/W's. I sure hope you came out of this OK in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    i bought some 4x5 holders from a fellow here on the forum, i paid through paypal and he mailed the holders and i recieved them promptly, after a few days he sent me an email asking me why i froze the payment, i told him that i didnt, i called my bank and they told me that paypal had not even tried to access my account, paypal said they would investigate the incident (an incident that really didnt even exist) the gentleman i bought the holders from and I kept in contact over the next couple of weeks, after about 3 weeks paypal released the funds. i was leary after that about using paypal.
    This is the same thing I encountered for the first time about a year ago with Pay Pal. I posted a message about it here. About a year ago Pay Pal instituted a policy of freezing payments to sellers who don't have at least 100 ebay transactions or who don't meet a couple other exceptions. The freeze is for 21 days unless the buyer posts positive feedback sooner or unless tracking numbers or something else, I forget the details, can be furnished to Pay Pal proving that the item was shipped. It's a very aggravating policy for people who don't sell very often on ebay but I'm sure ebay/Pay Pal make a nice chunk of money by investing other people's money for 21 days.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.