Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PayPal Incident

PayPal Incident

I would like to share a recent experience with PayPal.

I'm mainly a buyer on Ebay but in October I sold a Super Ikonta to a gentleman in Hong Kong. Living in Canada there were only two shipping options via Canada Post, expedited air $75 (7-10 day delivery) or International ground $35 (4-6 weeks). The buyer wanted the expedited option for the international ground price. After much back and forth he paid for the camera +the $35 through PayPal and the item was mailed, insured with a tracking number which I forwarded to the buyer.

Within two weeks I received notice of a dispute from PayPal and a "claim" the next day. This resulted in the funds being frozen in my account and my account balance going negative. Even though I could prove the item was mailed, I scanned and sent the invoices along with the tracking number, the payment was reversed. I called PayPal and they said the Canada Post tracking site was unclear (the site simply states the package has left the country). I suggested my options and influence with the national postal service site was rather limited. They did offer that once the item arrived I could appeal.

Since no signature is required the buyer if he is so inclined can enjoy his free camera.

Having been mainly a buyer I can somewhat understand the bias but it sure seems a case of being guilty until proven innocent. I've had over 120 transactions on Ebay and about 30 on this forum with without a single issue but that did not seen to matter.

After this experience I searched this forum and read with interest the thread started by Brian Ellis back in Jan of this year. I wish I had read it sooner.

As always know the rules of the game if you are going to play.

Re: PayPal Incident

Someone once opened a paypal dispute claiming a lens I sent them was faulty.

I could even provide video evidence of the lens working on a camera, focusing etc. Paypal weren't interested.

Negative balance, frozen account, banned, locked out and my details are on their blacklist.

I guess this is why I will always remain a buyer instead of seller re: ebay. Much prefer to do business here or the other usual fora. Everything transaction I've had here has been positive (in fact, I bought some gear off Cesare and we met up at a Timmys for coffee and gear talk).

Hope it works out for for you Cesare.

Fred
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

This is one reason why shipping out of your home country is a problem. You have no way to prove the buyer got the item unless you use a very expensive shipping service.

The companies involved in encouraging this cross border trade would have you believe that you are protected against this sort of thing. Its not true as you know now.

Sorry for your loss.

I bought a couple of lenses from Cesare, and since they weren't particularly expensive, opted for regular airmail, and told him I was taking the risk. They arrived here in ~4 weeks safely. With anything over $100, I always insist on EMS, which is tracked and insured for the whole amount, including shipping.

In this case, if there is a tracking number, you could check the HK Post site here: http://app3.hongkongpost.com/CGI/mt/enquiry.jsp Tracking systems in many countries are pathetic, with incomplete and delayed information. Fortunately for me, JapanPost has real time tracking. Every stage is documented properly and is visible online instantly.

Kumar
    Last edited by B.S.Kumar; 10-Dec-2010 at 18:06.

Kumar, many thanks for the link to the Hong Kong post office.

While the Canada Post tracking number was not recognized it did mention a way to send the buyer's address information and Can Post tracking number to them. We will see how it goes.

Having been aware that these types of problems can occur, I sell only within the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Having been aware that these types of problems can occur, I sell only within the U.S.
    And what about all those instances where the UPS/Fedex driver in the good ol' US of A leaves it on the porch and it gets stolen/wet, or hurls it over the fence, as has been reported in this forum?

The US isn't immune to these problems. But I can state confidently that no courier in Japan or India delivers a package without a signature. In Japan, we have a post box on the ground floor of our apartment building, and if an unregistered package is too large to fit, the postman/courier delivers it to the door. If there's no one at home, he will leave a note, and I can pick it up, or have it delivered at a convenient time.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    And what about all those instances where the UPS/Fedex driver in the good ol' US of A leaves it on the porch and it gets stolen/wet, or hurls it over the fence, as has been reported in this forum?

The US isn't immune to these problems. But I can state confidently that no courier in Japan or India delivers a package without a signature. In Japan, we have a post box on the ground floor of our apartment building, and if an unregistered package is too large to fit, the postman/courier delivers it to the door. If there's no one at home, he will leave a note, and I can pick it up, or have it delivered at a convenient time.

Kumar
    IIRC the US Post Office won't deliver anything that's insured for over $100 without a signature. And if no one's home same thing is done as you outline here.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    IIRC the US Post Office won't deliver anything that's insured for over $100 without a signature. And if no one's home same thing is done as you outline here.
    I'm not talking of only registered or insured packages, but also unregistered/uninsured ones that are too large to fit in the post box, as with the lenses from Cesare, or the Paterson tank and reels I bought on this forum.

And Cesare, if the buyer says the camera wasn't delivered, tell him to send you a mail/letter, and you should be able to get your money back, since it was insured. It is also possible that the camera is "missing", meaning that perhaps it is in a corner where no one has noticed it. I once got a lens delivered after two months. Since it was bought on a forum, and wasn't expensive, both the seller and I decided to give it some time before making a claim. Fortunately, our patience was rewarded.

Kumar