Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spam, are members of this forum getting an inordinate amount?

spam, are members of this forum getting an inordinate amount?

Wayne, we ought to read that stuff for you never know what good surprise comes a long in the mail! I was recently offered by the son of an african dictator who needed to discretely send some savings abroad to send him my full bank numbers and details so that he could send me 17 millions o f $ from which I was offered a generous 25% for my help. I would have loved to help him but my bank accounts ar e already packed up with all the money some other Nigerians guys sent me a while ago. Seriously, some naive p eople got caught and lost hundred of thousands with these guys! Julio, I occasionally get spam, but no mor e than 3-4 a week. The rest is sent by authorized sites. Last week though, I received many emails with weird ti tles and no content visible on Mac, but from the time they took to pass, I know there was some bad stuff in the m. Soon after that I received Symantec's news letter with a warning about a worm that spreads in the mail and automatically send emails to the addresses in your address book. Some say the antivirus companies are the one s who spread that stuff. Really? I'm not sure...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

http://www.spamcop.net/

Go there to report spam!! It's what I use with my account at work. Also, they will sell you (cheaply) spam-free accounts from which they will screen out all the spam.

There are also many products which will screen spam, and if you are hip with Unix (is that a contradiction?) and you can telnet to whatever server you use, you can use .procmailrc to screen out a bunch of stuff. I use it at work to eliminate plenty of garbage.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I get a small amount of unwanted mail, but not any more since I satarted on this forum. What I learned the other day is when the note gives you an option to be removed from the senders mailing list, don't go for it. It only serves to tell the sender that they have hit an active e-mail accoount. If you do nothing, they figure it's a dead account and usually won't bother with it again. And as has already been posted, stay the heck away from those offers of instant wealth in exchange for your bank account number. It is hard to believe people fall for that, but they do.

Thank you all for your responses. I have learned a great deal from your postings and will need to take the steps you recommended. I think you are right about the spam not being related to this forum. I took free space at an htp site provided by my ISP and believe that spamers are getting my email address from there.

I've had SO MUCH SPAM FROM KOREA, that , I've had a strange craving for Korean cuisine!!!!!

m.

You people are cluless how this spam thing all works. No one your email addresses are all over this board. And if you use another email to "log in" cool... But places like hotmail simply have yourt email addresses sitting there ready for the taking. Hotmail uses MX technology so if I send a request to hotmail and ask if you@hotmail.com is a good address it will say yes you@hotmail.com is a good address. there are only a few hundred million common variations of an email address tom@ tom1@ bigtom@ bigtom1@ 1bigtom@ now add hotmail.com to the back of all these I bet you at least 2 put of these 5 go to someone. No is that easy or, is that easy. SO you just learned you dont have to post your email address anywhere to end up on a list. Oh and that BS about replying to a removal box is bad is just that BS - asked to be removed (YOU WILL GET LESS SPAM)